Thursday, October 15, 2020

Back to work

 I went back to work today, assisting in the JROTC department for what may be the rest of the semester.  I had enjoyed my time off and had to readjust my attitude.  I enjoyed the sunrise hikes with the dogs without feeling pressured for time.

After school I met Susan at 4pm and walked the river north from the casa, turning around at the mile mark.  It was the first time Sadie and Minnie had been at the river since Sunday and they were excited to go.  Sadie came along, but she was walking slowly and at times weakly.  Both Minnie and Sadie slow us down.  The 5:40pm sunset now means we can't take too much time anymore before it gets dark.

Susan invited me to her place to pick up some dog food that may help Hansel's constant itching.  It's a five-pound bag of Caninadae I don't think I've ever bought before.  My short visit ended up lasting several hours and two gin and tonics later.

The dogs always enjoy visiting Susan.  Allie is such a tolerant host.  But Sadie started acting restless again, walking in the garden along the perimeter.  Her dementia doesn't appear every day, but tonight it was obvious.  She couldn't settle down.  She finally settled down when I got home at 9pm.

"I hope she lasts another year" I told Susan.

"I don't think she will last a year.  I think it's more months now" replied Susan. Sadie has lost a lot of muscle mass.  She had always been on the thin side, but now her hips and hind legs look like sticks.  Her fur also looks dull and is still shedding.  She looks her age.


No comments:

Post a Comment