Saturday, November 2, 2019

Bisbee 1000 Stairclimb

The hiking club hiked a new trail in Kartchner Caverns State Park in the morning, the new 1.7-mile Ocotillo trail.  I had wanted to do this hike, but in the last minute opted instead to work around the house a bit, gathering the recyclables to later take them to Bisbee from where I'd then walk the stairs.  It had been a while since I did the stair climb.  I took Zeke.

What a perfect day for a walk!  I didn't get started until 1pm, with whispy clouds above and temperatures in the upper 60s.  There was no wind.  I parked in front of the brewpub, slung my backpack over my shoulders, and started the Bisbee 1000 route from here.  I never had to put on my windbreaker.   The sun provided the best light in the early afternoon, bringing out the colors of all the flowers still in bloom in pots and hillside gardens.   I missed the first set of stairs at the city park, losing 0.3 miles from the course, but stayed on course for the rest of the walk.


I don't even remember when I last did this route.  It's the same course as the annual Bisbee 1000 Stairclimb held every third Saturday in October.  I was in Springerville when the race was held two weeks ago, and the yellow arrows painted on the streets for the runners were still very visible.   I wasn't worried about going off-course.  I was more worried about being too out of shape to make it up the stairs!

There are nine sets of stairs, from 73 for the first set to 181 for the third set, but the hardest climb is sets four and five because they are close together and are 78 and 151 stairs combined.  I had to rest between these two, the first time in years I had to do so.  I am out of shape!!!

I was in no hurry, either.  It had been so long since I enjoyed walking around Bisbee, that I took my time to enjoy the sights, sounds and smells.  I was curious to see if there was anything new in town.
Bisbee is an old mining town with so many hidden art treasures, from funky yard art to historical sculptures.  There weren't many tourists in town, either.


I was coming down Clawson Avenue near the half-way mark when I noticed an old man walking slowly uphill.  He stopped when he saw Zeke, who was off-leash at that point but by my side.  I thought the old man was afraid of Zeke and froze in place.  It turned out he was simply taking a break, as walking was difficult for him.  Dressed in baggy brown pants and a floppy grey hat, he greeted me in Spanish with "Buenas Tardes!"   I responded in kind with "Buenas Tardes, Senor!" and saw how truly old he was when we passed each other.  He could have been in his 80s and a life-long resident of town.  The stories he could tell! What a sweet and kind gesture from a total stranger.  Most people in town don't greet strangers.


The Bisbee 1000 is a fun way to get to know Bisbee and its neighborhoods.  While the Old town and the Gulch are often lively and loud, walking up Tombstone canyon with its hillside views is also worth a walk.  Fewer tourists make it up this far, and the locals prefer it this way.  Some of the best yard art and wall murals are found here, as are ancient VW vans, buses and cars.




I was looking forward to seeing what the iron-wrought set of javelina would be wearing in the front yard they are normally on display.  In the past, the home owner has dressed the peccaries in holiday clothes: for Christmas, Easter, Valentine's and Halloween, but this time they were not on display in the yard!  The small front yard was void of them!  I saw other funky art, though, including a white house dressed in the Union Jack and red English telephone booth.  I had to think of Susan there.  That house was not decorated like this the last time I walked the course.


I was losing high sun by the end of the route, but I still enjoyed the beauty around me.  The walk took me 3:50 hours (!), but I will gladly do this course again to share with others.  Maybe next Saturday? 




I finished off with two tulips of Old Bisbee Brewery's seasonal Holiday Ale, an apple-cinnamony 7.5% ABV ale.  Zeke rested on the floor, enjoying the break.  Danielle, the server, told us drinkers at the bar that it had been a slow day, but that business should pick up after the Dia de los Muertos  (Day of the Dead) parade in town.  I didn't stay around for that, (it was getting cold out) but I did get to meet some of the early arrivals for the parade which started at 7pm. Next year I will make sure I'm ready for that parade, as the Dia de los Muertos is a very spiritual experience for those who honor their dead.




I came home around 8pm with the Chris Stapleton song "Tennessee Whiskey" in my head.  I had heard it while in the brewery and had to look up the singer and song title.  What a beautiful song.  I played all the versions of it that I could find on YouTube while in bed with my Chromebook.  Kevin didn't seem to mind, as he loves country music, but this song has that soulful blues in it that just goes right through me.  What a great way to end a beautiful day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zAThXFOy2c&list=PLr1oLOWfX9aNKBq_jZ9UAT6bz85qbXnKn&index=1

No comments:

Post a Comment