Sunday, November 17, 2019

A weekend dedicated to Minnie

On Saturday I forfeited a hike with the Huachuca Hiking Club to Bassett Peak in the Galiuro Mountains in order to make sure I had all the paperwork ready for Minnie and Sunday's Pooch Pool Pawty held at The Cove Aquatics Center in Sierra Vista.  Bassett Peak is a very popular peak for fall colors; the Tucson Hiking Club does this hike every fall during prime colors.

The Cove is a premiere indoor pool with lap swim lanes and wave action, two water slides and a large wading pool for younger children.  Sunday was its official closing for the season, but before commencing the annual cleaning, hosted a pool event for small and large dogs.  Small dogs 35 pounds and smaller swam from 1pm-2:30pm and larger dogs from 2:30-4pm.

I started the day with a brisk 4.4 mile walk around the Ranchos San Pedro development.  I left Minnie at home as she's too stiff to walk at my fast pace.  It felt great to get a powerwalk in again!  Sadie, Sweetie and Zeke know the routine and keep up with me. We saw two coyote staring us down, and later a solitary javelina.  Two other dog-walking groups forced me to divert from my usual route to prevent any dog fights.  Sunrise both yesterday and today was nondescript, and as soon as that sun popped over the horizon, the temperature rose from 48F to 55F.

I had to replicate the rabies paperwork for Minnie because the original paperwork got lost after the pool even on Fort Huachuca in September.  I'm thinking it blew out of the car, as that is where I had kept the paperwork, in the back of the driver's seat.

Minnie is such a sweetheart when it's just her, away from the pack that she knows.  I took her to Jem's Feed on Saturday at 9:40am, where the store holds its twice-monthly vaccine clinic.  Dr Moffett from the Sierra Animal Hospital comes in from 10am-2pm to vaccinate dogs and cats and does office exams at reduced cost.  She is a good DVM (very compassionate and listens to her clients).  There was already a line of people when I drove up.  Minnie and I sat next to a father-daughter duo holding a little Maltese to our left.  To our right was a young woman holding a six-week old border collie pup.  After initial sniffings, Minnie settled down on the floor, occasionally looking up to me for reassurance.

It took an hour to be seen.  Minnie got a booster shot for $20 and I got a duplicate rabies vaccine document.  To reward Minnie for her fine behavior, I stopped by Culver's in town for a chicken sandwich and a pup sundae for her, which she ate with enthusiasm.  When we got back home in the early afternoon, I took all four dogs down to the river. Susan couldn't join me due to an eye appointment.

It was a beautiful mild fall day with a gentle breeze and the smell of dead leaves in the air. The trees are now 50% void of leaves and the remaining leaves are losing their luster.  I walked in the shallow river.  The sun had warmed up the water to a comfortable level. What was intended as a short hike turned out to be a 1:40 hour stroll in the river from the Casa to just before the beaver dam, totaling 2.6 miles. I never saw anyone else. Now I can say that everyone got a good work-out for Saturday.

Today started out much like yesterday, but with a shorter walk.  I knew I'd get more exercise with Minnie at the pool, walking her around and throwing the ball for her.  I got to the Cove early, hoping to get my paperwork checked off early.  I found out that the clerks  were not as strict here as on fort Huachuca.  The attendant gave my paperwork a cursory look and checked me off.  I had paid online so they already had my name on the roster.  For the first 90 minutes I walked around slowly with Minnie around Veterans' Memorial Park, enjoying the mild weather.  The sky was clouding up and kept the warmth to the ground.

Minnie enjoyed her water time with the other 29 dogs.  I saw mostly Retrievers, a few Goldens, and plenty of GSDs (which always get my attention!).  I'd throw the ball down to the deep part, and Minnie would swim to the ball, grab it in her mouth, and bring the ball right back to me.  She is always so focused on that ball that she doesn't take time to meet the other dogs.  I had brought her own fetching toy, but she preferred the tennis balls offered at the pool.

I recognized a few people from the high school, including a few students who were there with their water-loving dogs.  The 90 minutes were over all too soon for me, but Minnie seemed exhausted and ready to call it quits when the pool closed at 4pm.  By then only two other GSDs were still there, including an 18-month-old black GSD named Gunner.  Most people who came with the dogs stayed for under an hour.  I enjoyed my time with Minnie and I hope The Cove hosts another "Pooch Pool Pawty" next year.  The pool will now be closed until early January.







No comments:

Post a Comment