Sunday, October 20, 2019

Foote Creek trail; driving home

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/asnf/recreation/recarea/?recid=45231&actid=50
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/asnf/recarea/?recid=44983


I slept good overnight!  Even the dogs were quiet.  We all got up to pee before sunrise, and I was on the road back into town before the sun came over the horizon.  It even felt warmer today.


I had no specific trail planned.  I just wanted to hike a trail near the highway, one with quick and easy access, allowing me to get at least my four miles in and then continuing on my way back home, taking the same route I took on Friday, US 191.  The early morning sunrays colored the town in reds and oranges, even the Madonna of the Trail statue next to the McDonald's.  This statue is one of 12 erected in 1928-29 along the Old National Roads route, one in each of the 12 states the route travels, from California to Maryland.  The old National Roads trail is a network of several early routes built before World War II.  The statue is partially hidden by two trees on either side of it.  This statue deserves greater recognition, but here is is, right off US60.

Traffic was minimal today.  Even the elk were hiding as I drove the same route.  It wasn't until I passed Hannagan Meadow (9071') that I found a good trail: the Foote Creek trail just south of the Lodge and across the highway.  The trail head is a half mile down the dirt road.  A vault restroom is centered on an island in the looped parking area, describing the two trails that start here:  the Foote Creek Trail at 16 miles, and the somewhat shorter Steeple Mesa Trail at 13 miles.  Both end in Bear Canyon over 4000' below. Both trails suffered much fire damage in 2011 and tree clearing is still in progress.  I wanted to hike a few miles and then turn around.  Only the firs quarter mile is old logging trail, the rest is single track.  The burned areas are now exposed, but there is still plenty of shade on this trail.

The morning sun was already lighting up the forest.  It was windy this morning, and the wind chilled me.  A pine cone dropped near Zeke early on, startling both him and me.  Several trees creaked in the wind as their entwind branches rubbed against one another. The dogs didn't seem to mind the cold.  Mature trees were around the trail head, but shortly on the former logging trail, fire damage once again became evident.  After a mile, the first of several dry meadows appeared and the wind howled, prompting me to stop a few times to make sure that was the wind and not a pack of Mexican wolves.  Both dogs stayed right behind me.  They were either still tired from yesterday, or apprehensive of the smells and sounds of this rim-to-canyon floor trail.


I managed 4.2 miles before turning around.  There is much new growth everywhere, but time is what kept me from going farther.  The Foote Creek trail was clear for the entire distance I hiked, with just four or five logs across the trail that required both dogs to jump up and over, something that Sadie is getting weak at.  The poor girl didn't whimper or whine and followed me obediently.  Elevation loss was minimal.  Zeke seemed more interested in squirrels. It was an easy hike through tree stumps, old growth, and the distant Blue Range and its yellow aspen.  I must come back and make this trail a backpacking trail, but who would want to do this hike with me?  I could hike in from the canyon floor, get a room at the lodge, and hike back down the next day.

What a scenic trail this still is!  I was tracking the route on my app, noting the lack of signage just before P-Bar Lake (drying up) and the unmarked intersection with the Grant Creek Trail.  The trail began its descent along Foote Creek in a steep drainage below just past the dried up lake, and I turned around here.  I gave the dogs their water and lunch and got back to the car in under four hours.  I never came across another hiker!  I had hiked longer than originally planned, and this was a nice trail to pick despite the lack of good water.


It was now after 1pm.  Both dogs jumped into the back of the Honda and were quiet for the rest of the ride home, sleeping on my $400 sleeping bag and getting out only once to pee only.  The afternoon sun was high above me, accentuating the yellows of the aspen and later the cotton fields of Solomon.  Traffic was minimal until I got near Morenci.  I didn't stop anywhere to eat until I got to Benson at sunset, making it home by 7pm to two happy dogs and a sleeping husband.  All the dogs got fresh shank steaks, my two hiking dogs getting the two biggest cuts.

All the news radio channels on SiriusXM talked about President Trump's impeachment inquiry.  It's been this way all month!  Trump's withdrawal from northern Syria last week to let the Turkish army kill off the Kurds is perhaps the second-most reported news. So it was a nice surprise to hear about a 10-year-old Springer Spaniel named Genghis who has bagged all 282 of Scotland's highest peaks.  I wonder how many Sadie has bagged in her lifetime so far?  She will be 11 years old on March 6th.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7121155/Mountaineering-springer-spaniel-Genghis-scales-268-Scottish-peaks-new-ex-Army-owner.html  Genghis has his own Facebook page (psst, so does Sadie!) and money raised during the many mountain climbs goes toward the Scottish Mountain Rescue and Springer Rescue Scotland.  I even located several YouTube videos of the dog.  Simply amazing! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRCk5VpreIU

I enjoyed this short trip up north.  I had originally planned on leaving Wednesday and adding Globe and the San Carlos Apache area as part of the tour, but this worked out just as well due to the cold overnight temperatures now in the higher elevations.  Winter is soon coming to central Arizona.

No comments:

Post a Comment