Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Dock diving for Minnie

Valli invited Minnie and me to dock dive with her and her friend Brenda at the Animal Watcher's pool where Minnie first learned to dock dive last year.  I took the day off to offer Minnie this water fun.   She needs this for her aching joints.

I got to the pool promptly at 9:40am, expecting Valli to be there, but she was delayed by ten minutes and arrived at 10:10am.  She is German and always on time, so this was unusual.  She gave me the cold shoulder and I didn't understand why.  Was it because I started Minnie in the pool without her?  Was it because I had given the clerk my $12 instead of her?  She never said why until later, explaining that she had already paid for the hour use of the pool.  She and Brenda used the dock diving classes this summer and get a "student rate" for private use.  Since Minnie did not take classes this year, I do not get a discount.  OK, fine.  Twelve bucks for an hour of swim time is still worth it.

No one else was at the pool, either.  This was a private engagement that Valli had reserved.  The pool water was still getting skimmed of dead bugs when I came by, but the water looked greenish, as if the filter had been turned off weeks ago.  It wasn't very appealing.

I asked the pool owners if I could start early (on time, 10am) so that Minnie could get some water time.  Fifteen minutes later, she was exhausted.  She had to remember how this dock diving worked and was hesitant. Valli and Brenda let their dogs jump, but they, too, had tired dogs in the end.

SteveT lives nearby and came over for the second half hour to watch Minnie dock dive.  It's more of a canine belly flop and cute to watch.  He helped lure Minnie into the pool.  She seemed more interested in swimming than diving.

After our one-hour session was over, Steve and I went to Huachuca City to have lunch at the new Mexican restaurant where once Pulla's was, El Camino, a father-daughter enterprise I hope succeeds.  Their chicken burrito and especially the salsa is muy sobroso!  Minnie stayed in the car with the windows open, parked on the north side in the shade.  Her wet fur kept her cool.

At 4:30pm I met up with Susan at the river to walk all the dogs.  It was nice to see Susan again.  Minnie went right into the muddy water, so her clean fur from earlier today was quickly caked in river mud.  The sky was cloudy and rain was falling to the south of us, but it never fell over Hereford.  It was a nice day that went to the dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment