Saturday, December 1, 2018

Mural Hill a second time

I do like this trail.  Why?  It's not too difficult, you get expansive views, and the trail is secluded.  Plus it's an excuse to visit Bisbee and be among the quirky residents. Today was my third time on this trail and I never came across anyone outside of our hiking group.  We were ten people and two dogs (Sadie and Zeke).  Because of the dogs, I opted to run on ahead so that Sadie wouldn't keep tripping over JimA.  She likes to cut people off and then stop cold in front of them, making them have to quickly step sideways for them not to fall over her.  It's an annoying habit of hers.  She stops doing that when she tires after a few miles and then gets behind me.

Paul from the Huachuca Hiking Club was today's hike leader.  He had reconned the trail on Tuesday and marked the trail with fresh pink hunter's tape.   Today's weather was ten degrees cooler than last Saturday, with frost on the north slopes above 6000.'

I made it to the top in 1:44 hours, well ahead of else.  I didn't plan that, but the frost kept me going, despite the four layers I had on top. This extra time on the peak gave me the opportunity to feed and water both dogs before they would get distracted with everyone else coming to the peak to eat.  They had finished their lunch when Jim got to the peak next.  Sadie wasn't pleased with the disturbance and barked at him non-stop, another annoying habit she's started doing more often since she was diagnosed with Canine  Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome (CCS) back in January.  Once she starts barking, she has a hard time stopping.

Once everyone else made it to the peak, though, she calmed down.  She probably realized she had to if she was going to get treats from others.  (Ha, good luck with that trick, Sadie!)  We spread out across the summit.  I discovered that the peak offers nice views toward more mining activity toward Bisbee-Warren.  There's even a register booklet inside a plastic jar hidden in some bear grass I didn't notice last week.

It was in the low 50s and I quickly got cold just standing around.  We all left the peak at the same time, again with me up front.  I went straight to the Honda to wait on the others.  Karen came up next and told me some of the hikers went up to the shrines, others went to the Buddhist shrine, but that the majority would be joining Karen and me at the Bisbee Brewing Company.  We sat outside on the top deck.  I brought Sadie and Zeke with me and once Sadie calmed down with some water (thanks to Karen suggesting perhaps they needed water), both dogs napped for most of the visit.

I tried the Holiday Ale and it was quite tasty!

Paul, Rod, SteveS and SteveA joined us.  We ended up spending a good amount of time chatting.  I had promised Kevin I'd stop by the Pizza House on the way home for a large cheese pizza...I didn't get home till after 5pm and he was already in bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment