Friday, December 21, 2018

Chicagoland for the holiday

I keep saying that "This is the last time I drive to Chicagoland for Christmas!" and yet I have been doing it eight of the last ten years.  I'm always afraid that it will be the last time I see my stepmom or stepdad alive. My stepmom is not in the best of health and my stepdad is trying to sell his home in Culver and move back to Massachusetts in the spring.

So, tomorrow, sometime in the early morning after coffee and walking the dogs at sunrise, (which honestly translates to "noonish") I plan on taking off.  Roads look good between here and Crown Point, IN and I will take the most direct interstate network: I-10 to 1-25 to I-40 in Albuquerque, then across the Texas Panhandle and Oklahoma with a connection to I-44 east of Tulsa.  I-44 cuts across central Missouri to St. Louis and the final stretch on I-57 to Kankakee where I cut east on county roads to US41 in Indiana.

I won't have time to hike much anywhere, but will take short walks around towns along the way.  I will leave on January 3rd for the return drive.  That's when I plan on stopping somewhere in central Missouri for a hike near Rolla.

I'm curious if I can stick to my plan.  I doubt I'll be able to hike much once in Indiana as I need to spend time with family.  I hope the weather remains good and I have no major break downs or break-ins.

No comments:

Post a Comment