Monday, October 15, 2018

Zeke's DNA

Both of my flights back to Tucson were delayed.  I didn't come home until Monday at 2am.  I was too tired to work and slept in.  The house was cold.  I was cold.  It was 48F for a high.  What did I come back to?

The one good thing about today is getting Zeke's DNA back from Wisdom Panel.  The results were actually back October 5th and I finally saw the email on the 13th, but the website was down.  I was dying to learn Zeke's DNA.  Here it is:



I was certain that Zeke would have some Border Collie (BC) in him, and perhaps one of his great-great-grandparents is a BC.  Since 37.5% of him is a mix of sporting, companion, terrier and herding dog, that would include BC.  I'm a bit surprised by the Chow-Chow, though.  Whatever, it's a wonderful mixture that makes him such a lovable dog.  Everybody loves Zeke.

The Wisdom Panel packet is very user-friendly.  There is also a section for health risks:

 

I got the DNA kit from Amazon via its Vine program, so it didn't cost me anything.  I am curious about Sweetie's DNA and will get a second kit when Amazon offers these on sale next.  Otherwise, this is a $150 test that I wouldn't normally spend my money on.  I had him tested in 2012 with Wisdom Panel's cheaper DNA kit that sells for $80, but results were inconclusive.

I took all the dogs on a walk  north of the NFS storage shed later in the afternoon.  It was cold out, but all dogs were happy to be walking again.  All four did very well (better than me!)  My hands and cheeks were cold all day. It was colder in Sierra Vista than it was in Virginia Beach!

Zeke's facial injury has healed well.  The cut is growing over with new fur and I don't see a scar.

No comments:

Post a Comment