Friday, October 19, 2018

Autumn sunrise...and snakes!



Sunrise is now past 6:30am, which gives me little time to enjoy the morning when I have to work.  As soon as Kevin left for work, I was  getting ready for my day.  I rushed the dogs out the door to start hiking shortly after 6am.  There was enough light for a walk, but eastern clouds diffused the sun.  It was warmer than the previous mornings, but clearly fall has arrived.  Clouds lingered low over the San Pedro River.  That fog lasted well past sunrise.

There was nothing special about this walk, but sunrises, despite knowing that they happen every day, surprise us with their colors.  I managed 3.7 miles around the Ranchos San Pedro area, staying off the roads.  The grass was glistening in the rising sun.  Even the dogs seemed to take notice.


Only a few flowers remain now, but even the wet seed heads make for interesting perspectives.  The area I walk my dogs has slowly been discovered by other dog walkers, power walkers, recumbent riders.  When I see anyone on the road,  I simply lead the pack to the grass and walk cross-country.  They don't mind. Zeke and Sweetie enjoy running through dew-laden grass and come back drenched.

This is why I always keep several layers of blankets and other stuff in the back of the car.  I'd rather let the dogs be dogs than prohibit them from running across the grass.

It was a fun, fast hike for everyone.  I could tell the dogs enjoyed this walk, even Minnie.  The cooler temperatures enliven them all.
 

I got a text from Nina while looking over my phone.  It was datestamped 1:20am but I didn't see it until 6:20 am.  She told a small group that she was going to be in town for a dental appointment at 10am, and if anyone was interested in meeting for lunch and going on a short hike.  I didn't get off school until 12:30, would I make a get-together with the old hiking group?

It turned out that I did, rushing to Native Wings grill at 12:45. That restaurant has become the hiking group's favorite place to eat.  I like it there, too. It's a sports bar that caters to the more mature crowd, except on Wednesday nights when the bar hosts trivia and the older crowd goes nucking futs screaming out the answers.

Nina, Robert and KimCF were already done and sitting there waiting on me.  I was hungry but didn't want to hold anyone up.  Kim offered me her leftover hummus, which I gladly devoured.  We sat there for a good 30 minutes before we departed, Kim left for Tombstone where the Helldorado weekend begins today, and the rest of us met at the Brown Canyon trailhead parking area off Ramsey canyon Road and walked leisurely north to the ranch house for 1.9 miles.

The fog had long dissipated and it was pleasantly warm.  I was still wearing my wool sweater over a cotton long-sleeve.  I had to wear my yellow cap to keep the sun off my face.  It was around 1:30pm and the road was busy!  We walked past two dead Sonoran gopher snakes that were on the road, most likely run over.  The third one was still alive.  They all looked to be the same age.  I'm no fan of snakes, but I also don't believe in killing them.  Even snakes serve a purpose.



Robert led the conversation, talking about his South African trip earlier this month.  He really enjoyed his hunting safari, but listening to killing wildlife is something I can never stomach.   When people start talking about killing (anything that isn't a pest), I try to change the conversation.  If that doesn't work, I quietly just walk away, slow down and let them pass me, or I turn around.  Today I just started speeding up, heading south back to our cars.  Once they would have caught back up with me, any conversation about hunting would have transpired and all would be back to equilibrium.

I noticed a car parked on the road ahead of me.  The driver had just finished walking his dog and was on his way back home.  He stopped his car and waited for us to come closer.  I got to him first and quickly identified the snake as a juvenile Diamondback.  (I'm seeing more D'back here lately.  The Black-tailed rattler is normally the snake found in the eastern foothills of the Huachucas. )

The driver wanted other drivers to stop for the snake, and wanted to warn us of the Diamondback in the middle of the road.  I thanked him for the concern, as too many people just run over snakes because they hate snakes.   When Robert and Nina caught up with me and the driver, Robert took the man's hiking stick and gently moved the snake back into the grass.  Now the snake was safe and the road clear.

Sunrises, damp grass, wet dogs and frantic snakes made today's life experience rather interesting.  October and March are usually the two months I see the most snakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment