Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Thompson Ridge in the morning


t

Last night I accepted a shift at the night school for this afternoon/evening, freeing me to get out and hike early this morning.  After my morning cup of coffee, I was ready to take on Thompson Ridge with all four dogs.  I could have left even earlier had I not insisted on enjoying that first cup of coffee, or texting with Maria about a third cat she adopted from Chip this week, a chubby grey tabby named Minnie.  (She and hubby Jeff are such wonderful pet parents.)  With daytime temperatures creeping into the mid 80s this week, starting early is the only way to get some miles in before the heat of the day.

I got to the trailhead by 7:35am and immediately started up the trail.  Most of the switchback was in the cool morning shade, making this steep grade easier for both Minnie and me.  I was surprised I was the only human around.  That's ok with me, because Sweetie is most comfortable with just me around.  Her trail etiquette is getting better, but her need to dart ahead of me despite my commands to come back still reigns.

I felt good this morning.  I made it to the saddle in under 40 minutes, and to a higher hill in 42 minutes.  The sun on top was slowly warming the rocks around me. This hill, at 6724' was the high point.  I went downhill another 1/4 mile before extreme narrow and rocky terrain prevented further safe stepping.  I turned around and went down to the truck from here.  It was already 70F when I got back to my truck.  Today's high will be 81F.

I will try to make these early morning hikes more often now.  Starting an hour earlier would be even cooler for all of us, without sacrificing light to hike up the rocky trail safely.  The dogs had a half gallon of water among themselves at the top.

I wore my new Eastern Mountain Sports Compass Slim Pants that I got yesterday.  I got grey pants, but these are so comfortable, soft and stretchy, I may get a few more in various shades.  The pants are currently selling for $38.50 on the company's website.  I don't normally mention brands on this blog, but these 88% nylon/12% Spandex pants are perfect for me.  The zippered right side thigh pocket, the narrow leg sleeves and mid-waist are all things I like about these pants.  I can hike, drive, squat down in a classroom with these pants on.  The current asking price is also very affordable.

https://www.ems.com/ems-women%E2%80%99s-compass-slim-pants/28555300034.html

http://www.mapmyhike.com/workout/2801424475


No comments:

Post a Comment