Monday, April 2, 2018

Perimeter Loop Trail (8.2 miles)


I woke up this Easter Monday knowing I'll be hiking the Perimeter Loop trail.   This is a combination of five trails:  Perimeter Trail, unmarked Carr House trail, Carr Canyon Road, Clark Springs Trail, and Miller Creek Trail.   Elevation gain is 1413'.  The selling point of this hike are the views east into the valley, and the challenging terrain.

Kevin had to go to work, but I was off for the final leg of my Easter break.

I didn't even get on the trail until 7:41am.  It was cool for me, but I could tell that both Sadie and Zeke were feeling the warmth.  I hadn't done this hike in a few years and I was looking forward to seeing any changes.

I started in the Lower Miller Canyon parking area, across from the pit toilets and the Perimeter Trail sign across the road.  I carried my leashes but kept the dogs off-leash.  I never had to leash them today, although I pulled them close to me twice for passers-by.  I headed north on the trail toward Carr Canyon.

There was water trickling in two of the drainages flowing east into the valley.   Both dogs stayed close to me as I went northwestward on the Perimeter trail.  At the 3.75-mile mark, I took an unmarked trail north for a half mile to the historic Carr House.  We skirted the house and the creek and climbed up a short, steep grade to Carr Canyon Road and continued uphill for a mile.  I rested here for 10 minutes.  I was a little tired and both dogs seemed exhausted.  I even felt another headache develop, a sign I was dehydrated. At this point, I wondered if I had bitten off more than I could chew.  I was only half-way on the trail.

No one passed me by as I walked uphill on Carr Canyon Road.  I was still two miles from the high point. It was in the low 70s and by now I could feel the warmth.  I had been hiking three hours.

I didn't see any other people until I got close to Miller Canyon.  Several people were walking the John Cooper bike trail below me, a trail that intersects with the Clark Springs trail.  That's another trail I haven't done yet.  The woman in the group complimented me for how well Zeke and Sadie had been.

I was glad to finally reach Miller Creek.  Now the dogs could refresh themselves and cool off.  Both finally showed an interested in drinking.  The hunting dogs from Beatty's Orchard were barking ferociously at something nearby.  Those dogs have free reign, but the Orchard owners don't realize those dogs sound menacing.  If the couple wants people to use their Bed and Breakfast, they need to provide a safer environment.


The lower in elevation I got, the more people I met on the trail.  One woman picked up her toy dog and I got off the trail to give her and the dog some space.  I did that again for another family with a large Chocolate Lab.  My dogs seemed nonchalant about either dog, but it's nice to let others know there is no danger.

I actually was relieved to finally be back at my truck.  I would have enjoyed this more had I started right at sunrise.  Instead, I procrastinated again and made it harder on all of us.  Nonetheless, I got it done and feel a real challenge is complete.

An hour later I met Bill at the McDonald's south of town.  He had always been active hiking and working out, but his job teaching middle school kids this year has kept him busy.  It was nice to see him again. We chatted about school and we both agreed that too many kids these days don't care about their schooling.  They just want to pass so they can graduate and live off Mom and Dad for another decade.  I've definitely noticed a decline in the kids' effort since 2012.

We agreed to do this loop hike again this coming Saturday, right at sunrise.  Temperatures are now hitting the upper 80s and will be in the 90s next week.

http://www.mapmyhike.com/workout/2797696019

No comments:

Post a Comment