Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Cold front moving in; Lab results for Sadie


A quick winter rain blew in over California, creating massive mud slides in areas that burned late last year around Montecito and Santa Barbara.  At least 17 people died and eight are still missing.  We never got any rain (although it briefly drizzled around 8:45am), but we did get a cold front that slowly made its presence with strong winds late in the afternoon.

This made the 4.25-mile walk up Carr Canyon Road pleasant.  The winds weren't blowing yet and the sun was behind clouds.  The aerostat on Fort Huachuca was safely anchored for the day. Nine people showed up for this weekly walk, including Steve and his dog Trace.  I brought Sadie and Zeke on the hike and Trace was all over her, much to Sadie's chagrin. 

Six of us ate at "My Place" on Fry Boulevard afterward, a Vietnamese restaurant that also makes American and Mexican dishes.  It's my second time and both times I've enjoyed the Stir-Fry Curry Chicken. My only complaint is that one server is on the floor for the entire restaurant.  Getting refills on drinks is nearly impossible.  We were thirsty after the walk!

The real brunt of the storm came overnight, as winds blasted against the house.  No leaves were spared on our trees.  I still managed to walk the dogs for 2.4 miles under an overcast sky in the afternoon, giving Sweetie and Minnie their exercise.  I could feel a chill in the air.  Temperatures will drop to a more seasonal mid 50s tomorrow.

I was on my laptop when Dr. George called me at 7:48pm with Sadie's lab results.  The winds outside were already howling as we talked. The good news is that there is nothing physically wrong with her.  Blood and urine are normal.  The bad news is that she is showing early signs of cognitive decline.  George recommended either Purina Neuro or Hills Prescription Diet, neither which I will feed her due to the #1 ingredient being corn.  I'd rather go with tested supplements and Dr George was understanding.  She did approve of Senilife XL, Neutricks, Denamarin and Welactin (fish oil).  The first order of Senilife XL came yesterday.  Sadie hasn't had any late-night anxiety since last Friday, but I'm sure that exhausting hike on Saturday helped her rest for the weekend. The hardest part of the supplements is giving it to her.  Shoving a gelatin-lined pill the size of two JellyBeans is not fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment