Sunday, November 13, 2016

Walking along the San Pedro

Tonight and tomorrow are the Super Moon, the closest the moon has been to earth since the 1940s.  I had a short hike with Ellen, HollyW and Nina scheduled for 4:30pm around the Brown Canyon House.  I took all four dogs with me to the San Pedro River earlier to get them a five-miler in.  This was Sweetie's second hike and again she did very well.

The sycamores and cottonwoods along the river are losing their leaves, but there's still plenty of color.  The river north of the Palominas Bridge is very low because engineers have dammed the river just south of the bridge to make the repair work easier.  The water flows again a mile from the bridge, but at a low level.

The dogs enjoyed the refreshing walk in the shade.  I watched Sweetie closely again.  She stayed nearby.  At times she'd run up the banks to explore higher ground, but she generally stayed with the other dogs, especially Zeke.  I spotted several Great Horned Owls, a hawk and a falcon.  I even discovered a hidden shrine placed in the notch of a cottonwood along the banks.

I turned around at the 2.4 mile mark when the water covered the entire river bed and private property came up on both sides of the river.  Barking dogs from a nearby ranch also convinced me to turn around.  Five miles would be more than enough exercise.

The dogs did spook a birder and then later a lone Mexican.  I could tell the young man was Mexican by the scared look on his face.  All four dogs went nucking futs, ran toward the man and surrounded him.  Again it was Sadie who barked the loudest and did not back down.  Minnie also barked.  Zeke did his yipping.  Only Sweetie didn't bark, but did join the pack for support.  The man didn't flee or scream and let me approach him.

More later

No comments:

Post a Comment