Thursday, November 24, 2016

Thanksgiving in California, Part II


The sun seems to take forever to rise in the Bay Area, thanks to the morning fog.  I wanted to get some exercise in before meeting Eric's girlfriend's friends later in the day.  I arrived at the Lagoon Valley Regional Park in Vacaville (right off I-80) and started my hike at 9:42am.  The parking lot was surprisingly busy with lots of other hikers, but this being California where people are more exercise-conscious, this should not have been a surprise.  It still felt very fog-fresh and cool.




Both dogs were on their leash and did very well.  Not knowing the trails of this park, I opted to taste it all.  I started the Eagle loop trail around the lagoon.  Morning dew glistened in the grass.  Parts of the wide trail was muddied by recent rains, and goose poop littered the path.  Joggers, other dog walkers and even an equestrian greeted me.

I hiked 1.6 miles around the lagoon and pavement.  There were many picnickers here. Then I opted to hike up the gravel service road to the highest of three radio towers in the park.  This road seems to be the park's busiest trail.  Here more joggers, dog walkers and mountain bikers joined me.  The highest radio tower is only at 923' high, but for being in the Bay Area, a nice place to see across the nearby hills, including Mount Diablo.




Cyclists rest on top and I left them alone.  I took the dogs on a more secluded single track near the top, where I took them off leash for the duration of this scenic trail as it switchbacked down the northern slopes of the hill, pass elegant California Live Oak and California buckeyes.  Only one hiker passed me here.  A small creek with water welcomed the dogs with cool refreshment, which both dogs enjoyed.  I never had to open my own water bottles for them.

We were now back near pavement and parking lot and more hikers, so the dogs went back onleash to finish the 6.77-mile loop in 2:07 hours.  I was very impressed with the trails of this regional park that is right off the interstate and easy to get to.  I would do the service road-single track loop again!  There are many more remote trails in this park.  It was almost noon when I got back to the van.  The dogs were happy to relax in the van.

I now had to drive toward Sacramento, since that is where the gathering was.  Traffic was stop-and-go in parts, especially around Dixon on the west side.  Weather was warm and sunny; a lovely Thanksgiving day.

But I had more time to spare.  I was told the dinner started at 4pm and here it was 1:30 pm and I had time to walk around the State Capitol (I last was here in 2000 when I was stationed in Monterey with the US Army), and then walked around Old Sacramento.  Both times I kept the dogs in the van, parked in the shade with the windows down.  They napped while I walked around, adored the many trees around the capital.  I was able to photograph the beautiful landscape around the capitol, admiring trees I had never seen before but which grow well in the state.  Australian and Asian natives seem to thrive here.  The only flaw about the Capitol Grounds is the high number of transients.  Some blend in with the landscape in their olive green clothes, others sit as still as statues.

Old Sacramento is a nice place to visit once, but it's mostly a tourist trap near the Sacramento River.  I had been here before as well and it hasn't changed much.  Some of the restaurants charge valet parking, other places enforce a strict dress code.  The Riverside Tavern charges $6 for their cheapest draft beer.  So no, it's not a place I'd feel comfortable with.  At least it's a nice walking area being near the river, and had I had more time, I could have walked farther.

I had now walked over nine miles before my meal, which turned out to be a lovely gathering of six people and five dogs in a small California home in Elk Grove, a suburb of Sacramento.  Minnie and Zeke got along with the host dogs, a Labradoodle named Georgia, a Pit Bull and a more reclusive Husky-pit bull-heeler who was mostly locked up in a room due to her anti-social behavior.  Everyone at the dinner table was a bona fide animal lover, which made all the dogs more tolerable and not unusual for me.    Margaret really outdid herself preparing the whole meal.  All I added was the Arizona beer.  I will forget the names of these lovely women, but I won't forget this memorial feast of thanks.


No comments:

Post a Comment