Monday, November 21, 2016

Last walk with the dogs before my Thanksgiving road trip


I woke up to howling winds outside.  Dark, ominous clouds over the mountains threatened with rain.  Since I didn't work today, I opted to take the dogs out for a short walk in the late morning, in case it rained later.  All four dogs were happy to join me.  Only Sammy stayed behind to guard the back yard.  It was 11 am when we drove off.  Minnie was beside herself with joy, as usual.  Sweetie, as expected, ran ahead of everyone. and only came back to me when she realized I wasn't following her.

There was no one else around, but I still stayed mostly in the grassy area.  The dogs enjoyed the cool 60F-degree weather.  The gusty wind, however, required me to wear a hat and rain jacket to stay warm.  We managed a 2.3-mile loop on both pavement, dry drainage and trail.  I could have gone longer, but I didn't want to get caught in a rain storm.  I've done the trails in this 'hood now for over a year and the dogs know them all.

It briefly drizzled on the walk, but that didn't stop us.  The rain was over the mountains, but the sun shone in the east.  The wind prevented most of the birds to venture out.  I like coming out here to walk the dogs, but with one more 4-acre lot mowed (perhaps for prepping for construction), this may be the end of the leash-free area for the dogs.  By the afternoon, the dark clouds had moved on.

Tomorrow  early in the afternoon I'm leaving for a few days to see Eric in California.  It's a 1000-mile drive. He asked me today to please bring Minnie, since she is his favorite.  I will also bring Zeke, since he hasn't been on a road trip with me in a few years.  Sadie this time will be staying behind due to space, but it's going to be odd not having her around.  I'm so glad this windy weather is not in tomorrow's forecast.

No comments:

Post a Comment