Sunday, January 3, 2016

Back home

My road trip to Chicagoland was a success. I got to see the family, spend some time with the grandsons (however short), and get a lot of walking in.

The weather started out dry, but after the heavy rains on December 23rd, a cold snap blew across the Great Lakes, we had a bad ice storm the day after Christmas, and highs the second week never reached the 30s. By then I was glad to get back to Arizona, where 40-degree weather seemed like a heat wave.

I had worried about Sammy while I was gone. The day I left, Thursday, December 17th, he struggled to get up on his hind legs and I had to push his legs up. Kevin mentioned in a phone call on the 23rd that he didn't look good, and that we should prepare for his demise soon. That saddened me, of course, especially since my stepmom's 18-year-old cat Frazier is also now losing weight and has arthritis in his hind legs. When Frazier dies, she will not have any more animals, and at her 72 years, said that was enough heartache.

So when I drove back to the house after 4256.8 miles, I wanted to open the door as quietly as possible. I wanted to surprise the dogs and revel in a boisterous homecoming. It was dark out, with little ambient light. The dogs recognize Kevin and my arrival each day by the sound of our car's engine and wait with excitement. When I say my usual "Hi, guys!" the dogs park and jump with glee to see their pack leader safely back home after fighting demons and dragons without them all day. The back porch was closed,the back light was off, but the dogs sensed someone was in the back yard. All ears were up and all eyes were on me, slowly approaching the back door. What would they do? Did they already know it was me?

All dogs got closer to the door's windows. Sadie stood in the middle, head slightly cocked. All five stood side-by-side, including Sammy. I growled noticeably at my audience while still away from the door, that low guttural growl Sara taught me, and the entire pack started barking loudly. Sammy howled. When I approached the window I said "Hi, guys!," my usual greeting when I come home, and the entire pack went wild. When I opened the door, I got ambushed. Zeke jumped the highest because he simply can, dancing on his hind legs and insisting on being as close to me as the other dogs wanted to be. Who ever said dogs aren't emotional should have seen my pack. Kevin knew I was home then.

The dogs' water and food bowls were completely empty. That didn't surprise me too much, as their bowls were empty when I got home
after my T-Day trip to Texas. Several brand-new bags of treats that I had placed high on the kibble shelf were opened and the remaining plastic wrapper a silent evidence that they helped themselves to all the treats I got for them via Amazon's holiday "lightning deals" on dog and cat food and treats. None of that stuff was cheap! I poured them fresh water from the bathroom's tub faucet that is still dripping, opened a fresh bag of kibble, and let them love on me the rest of the night.

The dogs showed me more gratitude than my own kids did. Never once did either of them thank me for brazing the long drive back to Chicagoland. I expected at least a "Thanks, Mom, for driving!" from Eric.

No comments:

Post a Comment