Saturday, July 25, 2015

Carr and Calyx Peaks with Sadie and 11 other hikers

I led a hike via the MeetUp and hiking club up to Carr Peak and I couldn't have picked a nicer day to do it. Twelve hikers showed up: Rod, JohnS, Jeff, JimA, Holly and Doug, Gina, Dave and Karen, BillK and Joe, all strong hikers. We were a long line of determined hikers as we meandered up the singletrack trail to the peak. It was Bill's, Holly's and Doug's first time to the peak. We didn't encounter anyone coming down until we were 1/2 mile from the top, and we were told there were plenty of ladybugs on the peak.
Today was our first non-rain day in four days. It was overcast for most of the hike, with the sky clearing once we were back at the parked vehicles. Birds were chirping and flitting about but most remained invisible. Sadie held her own and stayed by my side. We never faced any threat of rain, either. Water was running off Carr springs. Golden Columbines were in full bloom as we walked through the aspen groves. It was cool enough on the peak that Rod put his jacket on. I hadn't hiked Carr Peak since March and I had forgotten how beautiful this trail is in the summer, especially the section going through the aspen grove, with the Golden Columbines on either side of the lush trail.
The nice thing about today's hike were the wildflowers. The only flower that's still missing from the pre-fire lineup are the red salvias. They are still absent from the higher elevations around Carr. All the other flowers were a perfect excuse to stop and photograph them. Even the wild onion on the peaks were in bloom. The ladybugs were also all over the peak.
I hadn't hiked elevation in a while and could feel it. I slowed down to stay near Gina, who also is recovering from a blood infection last fall. She's still not as fast as she used to be. The group, despite its size, had strong hikers so we never had to stop and wait for long for the slower ones. Most of the photographers were in the back with me.
We stayed on the peak for a while before descending and then bushwhacking to the nearby lower peak of Calyx Peak, a peak that isn't even named on any topo map but which has a sign that someone created and planted on the peak. A faint game trail led up the rocky slope; watching one's footing is very important here. I had never been on this peak and enjoyed the different view of Carr and Miller from that perspective. Agave were blooming around us. Lots of hedgehog cacti. I was so impressed with the views that I forgot to photograph the view into Ramsey Canyon! Duh! That was the one reason I went on the bushwhack. Calyx Peak is quite visible from Carr Peak but it's off the official trail along a ridgeline.
Rod wanted to hike down along the ridge toward the bathtub on the Crest Trail, but that would have added almost two miles to the hike, all of it with bushwhacking. I'm no fan of bushwhacking and since I WAS the "official" hike leader, I strongly suggested we go back the way we came up Calyx Peak, via the shortest route possible. Most were in agreement with me.

We got back down to the Carr Peak trail below the intersection to the peak. This was very overgrown but it felt great to get back on terra firma again. We never did catch up with Holly, Doug and Gina but we did meet several groups going uphill, including two USBP agents, a young couple with their young girl, and a few other groups. We never stopped for breaks and instead went right back to our cars by 1pm.
It was Dave's 70th birthday. I always enjoy a post-hike meal with other hikers. Dave suggested Pizzeria Minosa. I hadn't been there in a while and went along with Rod (the other hikers all went home). We sat outside on the patio facing the mountains, something I had always wanted to do since both Carr and Miller Peaks are in full view here, and then I pick a seat facing away from the view! My chicken alfredo with two Blue Moon beers came to a whopping $26, before tip. But what the hay, as it was a birthday meal. Sadie lay on the cool patio floor and napped, but came to life when I fed her some of my chicken strips.
I finally made it home at 4pm. Kevin had returned from his week trip to Boston. It's nice having him back, even if that means putting up with his loud computer in bed. He always goes to bed watching some YouTube movie, then falls asleep within a few minutes and keeps that damn computer on all night unless I reach over to turn it off.


TBC

No comments:

Post a Comment