Saturday, July 18, 2015

Coronado dog beach, Hurricane Dolores

We woke up to an overcast sky. I let the dogs out to pee on the grassy median and then drove down to the beach. During the week access to Dog Beach is easy, as it's just outside the southern gate to the Navy base, bordering the golf course, but on weekends this gate is closed. This now means driving around the base and through the ritzy neighborhood.

There were already cars parked along the street and people on the beach.
Waves this morning were higher than yesterday, creating frothy white caps as the waves rushed to shore. That didn't seem to bother any of the dogs on the beach as they ran after balls or chased each other. After yesterday's bout with vomit and diarrhea, I really wanted to keep the dogs out of the ocean and on the wet sand only, and for the most part both did just that. This was a nice excuse to get them out for some exercise before driving to my first hike today.
This beach is much smaller than the Original Dog Beach in Ocean Beach. The iron gate to the Navy base extends into the ocean, so there's no way one can safety enter the base from this side. Lots of kelp was on the beach, and a fine marine layer drifted off the waters. Catalina Island was visible, and the high rises further south reminded me that we were in a touristy area.

A deflated soccer ball was Minnie's fetch toy for today and both dogs got into the game. There were many people and there dogs here, and the smaller space meant more dogs per square foot. Dogs were coming from all directions to play, and one exuberant young Chocolate Lab came running toward Minnie and Sadie. This was a rough-playing pup wo thankfully did no harm to my girls, however, this same pup viciously attacked a senior Husky walking along the shore with its owner. It's scary how fast these dangerous encounters unfold. I didn't see the entire fight, I just heard the yelping and the owners screaming. The owners of the Chocolate Lab were able to get the dog off the Husky, the Husky and the owner walked away. The dog was bleeding from its mouth but its thick fur kept it from any more serious injuries. The owners was understandably upset, lured the dog into the water to wash off the blood, and then left the area while the Chocolate Lab and its owners stayed on the beach. I had my eyes on that dog, as an attack on either of my dogs would not have ended as peacefully as with the Husky.

The sun was finally rising above the marine layer, but dark storm clouds offshore were also bringing in lighting and more rain. I got the dogs off the beach when a beach patrol came up in an SUV to warm all people out of the water due to the lightning. This car drove up and down the entire beaches with their megaphone. People were still coming TO the beach but I won't take that risk. I waited for the hose at the water fountain to clear out so I could wash the salt off my dogs, but people kept coming up to use that hose. This hose was the one plus over the other dog beach, but I must say I like the other beach more because of its size and location.

Sadie vomitted in the van but the watery upchuck was clear and landed on the cooling pad. Lots of water helped ease her discomfort. I sat inside the van for a bit to see if the storm would blow over, but when a convertible pulled up behind me with a boxer in the back seat waiting for some beach fun, that's when I left to return to the base for my morning shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment