Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Sunday's romp in the river

Sunday, the day after our fun hike up Carr Peak, was another cool and overcast day. I didn't feel like hiking but did want to take the dogs out. I opted for something all the dogs could do, and went with the San Pedro River trail again, the same stretch I was on a few days ago. This time we spent some time in the water and walked around the flood plain.

I took all four dogs there by 2:30 and was back home two hours later. I was a bit more worried about snakes this time, since it was earlier in the day.

An elderly man was coming back from the river as we were approaching, and unfortunately I didn't see him in time. Zeke barked and then all the dogs took off to get to the man. They didn't do anything once they got to the man, but the man was justifiably upset, but didn't make a big scene. Once again it was Zeke who took off running first, and the others just followed. Had Zeke stayed at home, the other dogs wouldn't have taken off toward the man. My bad. I only had two leashes with me, having left the other two leashes in the backpack from the hike the day before.
The dry season has caused the river's water level to sink. I spent most of the time at the river by what looks like the beginnings of a beaver dam. This dam will most likely be "relocated" during the next monsoon, as the river here changes its course after every flood.

Parts of the banks are muddy, just the kind of texture that dogs enjoy. Minnie went wild fetching sticks in the water, and Sadie and Zeke joined Minnie, but only Minnie was the one who'd run after the stick in deep water. Nothing seemed to phase that dog; she just wanted to get to that stick! Sammy was off by himself eating grass or resting in the shade until we all returned on our return walk back to the van.
The cottonwoods don't seem to be as infested with the Western tent moth as I've seen in other years. At least I didn't see any around me. In some years the infestation is so bad, that the moths fall off the trees and float down river, or they fall on me! The river level is low, and parts of it smell. Next time I come to this section of the river, I will make sure I bring enough towels for the dogs. Luckily they were mostly dry by the time we got back to the van.

Monday, Memorial Day, the overcast skies were gone and we were back to the dry heat. It's been that way for three days. Tomorrow, Thursday, we stand a 20% chance of rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment