Sunday, May 25, 2014

Carr Peak for May

What an absolutely gorgeous day for a hike. There was a ten percent chance of rain but we never got any. We got instead cooler weather and overcast skies. May can be hit-or-miss, with the dry winds and clear skies more typical of this pre-monsoonal weather. Two years ago I took Minnie up Carr Peak for the first time and she struggled the entire way. When it's hot and dry this hike feels more like a chore. When it's cool and overcast, this is a great little peak to bag.

I putzed around in the morning, and didn't leave for the trail head until 1:30pm. We got to the parking area right at 2pm. There were no other cars around, although I saw campers in the nearby campsite. I took Sadie and Minnie and had to force Zeke and Sammy to stay home. Zeke chases wildlife and is a barker around people, and Sammy just can't handle the distance any more.
The oaks in the lower canyon were looking dry, but the trees higher up looked healthier. In fact, everything looked so green today. Did the diffused light from the clouds bring out the green?
I started out slowly, having eaten two sandwiches for lunch earlier. I discovered a new spring retainer at Saw Mill Springs. The Forest Service had relocated the spring's pipes to a newer location near the old one, and installed a retainer basin for the water which is kept in place by rock slates. The angle is also steeper here. This keeps the area from turning into a mud hole. I always stop at this spring to let the dogs drink as there is no other water along the way if the waterfall higher up is dry. The new spring is more convenient and easier for them and other wildlife to drink from.

There weren't too many more wildflowers out. The yellow flowers have given way to reds and purples. I spotted what looked like a type of white lily. I also saw purple penstemons. The Western tent moth is back, weaving their tents around young tree limbs.
The overcast skies and cooler temps brought out more birds, though. I only had my 30mm lens, so taking wildlife shots was out. What a good idea it was to leave later than normal for this hike! Sections that are normally under exposed sun were instead in some shade. Both dogs ran around the entire time and never showed exhaustion.
Another couple with their own dog was ahead of me once I got to the main trail, and purposely kept my distance from them so that they had some solo time once they got to the peak. I stopped for water at the dry waterfall (there was NO water running this time!) and when I finally got to the peak at 3:56pm (!) the couple was ready to leave. There was no wind, no cool breeze here and we spent some time posing for selfies and just enjoying the view. The only way I could get the dogs' attention was by holding a stick up; they knew that I'd throw that stick in the air for them to fetch, and they kept their eyes on that stick. This way I prevented too many "butt shots" of the dogs in the selfies.

Ravens flew around squaking. We had that peak to ourselves for a good thirty minutes. The dogs had water, rested in the shade of the manzanitas, and played fetch. It was a relief not to worry about others coming up the peak.

It was hard to tell that we had a massive fire here three years ago. It looked so green despite the lack of water this winter/spring. The angle of the sun also gave the grass a silver halo. The maples were fully leafed out as were the aspens. Even the aspens in the higher grove are growing back, although they are around three feet tall and have years to go before they can provide shade. The Golden Colombines are now out but haven't grown flowers yet. That will come with more moisture, which should hopefully start next month.

My Camelback was feeling much lighter on the descent. We played fetch most of the way, Sadie barked, and we all had fun on the return hike. By now the sun was low and shaded most of the hike. I did trip twice, landing on my butt with the camelback providing some cushioning. This was perhaps one of the more refreshing walks up to Carr Peak, and I lucked out with the weather. Last weekend would have been torturous in the heat, and previous weekends were too windy. Too many dead trees along the way could topple in high winds.
We made it back to the car at 6:10pm. We took our time going back down! I had told Kevin we'd be home by 6pm and instead it was after 6:30pm before we pulled up into the driveway. Kevin had made a chicken dinner with all the fixings. Sadie and Minnie got extra scraps for having hiked today. The other three dogs had already had their share of skin and fat.

I offered Sammy and Zeke the chance to ride with me to the car wash in town, since they had been left behind for the hike. My $3 wash expired Saturday and the van needed washing. It was dark by now and the moon hadn't risen yet. Sammy didn't want to go, but Zeke pounced on the offer for a car ride. He loves to sit up front and watch the road.
Zeke was terrified at first of the sounds and moving arms coming toward him, and he kept looking to me for clues as to whether he should be scared or not. He survived that ordeal, and afterwards I took him around the dark parking lot of General Dynamics, which is located next door. I had never noticed this building before!

Patche remains in the garage but he's moving around again. He's wanting to dart outside but I want to keep him indoors for as long as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment