Saturday, May 24, 2014

Huachuca Canyon

Thursday morning the vet office on Fort Huachuca called to let me know that Sadie's liver test came back normal. She will continue to be on the same prescription as she has been this past year: 1.25 tablets of 64.8 mg of phenobarbital twice daily. I could thus come by and pick up the prescription.

I took all four dogs along for the ride. The plan was to take them up Huachuca Canyon for a short hike on an illegal trail I was on several years ago after picking up Sadie's medication. I stopped at the vet clinic and was able to get the prescription right away, and drove off to the nearby canyon.
But to my dismay, the canyon is gated shut. A live bear had been sighted so the canyon is now closed. Geez, what would officials have done had they spotted a dead bear?! Disappointed, I parked in the shade at the parking area and let the dogs out. I could always take them to the cemetery and back, just for exercise, but I saw some children playing in the field and didn't want the dogs to be a nuisance, so I called them back, turned them around to the opposite direction and followed a side trail to the first picnic area. I had never been on this trail (which starts in the housing area next to the cemetery). Tall sycamores provided cool shade. There was green grass in the creek bed but no water in the creek. The dogs sniffed around, did their business, and I was on alert for snakes or other critters. Was I even allowed to be on the trail, which paralleled the road?

This was a short leg stretcher for Sammy, who followed me slowly as the others romped. We drove up to Reservoir Hill for the view before heading back down and then home.

Pache had been sleeping on the dryer all day. He did not look good. He had vomited his canned dinner. His eyes were watery and only partially open. No meow came out of his mouth. He's never been like this before. He always responds to my voice. I actually got worried about him, as he's never been this lethargic. Late last night I even joined him in the garage and held him for a while. I had thoughts of him dying on me. He seemed to like cuddling with me. That's when I decided to call the vet early Friday morning to see if I could get him seen before the holiday started.

I got an appointment for Pache and all four foster kittens for Friday at 2:15pm. It was a gorgeous day, cool with a breeze, and I was stuck taking care of animals instead! The kittens do not have a URI and were given Amoxicillin and some Lysine. All of them have had a persistent bout of crusty eye. Pache by then was no longer suffering from a fever and was giving nothing. By Friday evening he was feeling fine again and even wanted to dart outside.
I discovered two scabs on his neck. I had only seen and felt one scab Thursday night. Perhaps he was attacked by a dog and managed to escape from its teeth? Pache is one lucky cat. I really don't want him gallivanting outside, but he always insists on darting out when the opportunity arises.

No comments:

Post a Comment