Wednesday, July 24, 2013

A room for the night at Vandenberg AFB


The alarm was set for 5:30am. I got up to wash a load of clothes, let the dogs out for a short pee break, and go back inside to shower. It was cold and foggy outside but people were coming back to life. The billets around us were quiet. I only heard one other neighbor leave his room.

The dogs didn't seem to mind having the van to themselves all night. It was in the mid 50s overnight. I also promised them a nice walk in the morning, and after the clothes were dry and folded, I drove off with the dogs in the van at 8am to find a place to let them walk.

It turns out I didn't have to drive far at all. Our billets on Nebraska Avenue were next to several non-motorized recreational trails (I'd call them "tank trails") that meandered toward the beach two miles away to the west. We didn't quite make it to the beach, but we did follow the sandy trail through mature eucalyptus trees and damp sage. Both seemed to enjoy being able to run along. I went for time, not distance.

Several signs warned users of this trail to stay on the trail, due to unexploded ordinance perhaps being in the area. Oh lovely!

We never came across another soul while exploring the trails. My red van looked so lonely in that large vacant parking lot when we got back to it. Only a time restraint forced me back to the van, as I had to get back to the room to make sure Eric was up; check-out is at 11am and the dogs and I had been hiking for 90 minutes.

The cool coastal weather these last few days have been a godsend for the dogs. They are used to being in the van and seem to know when it's their time to be let out for a walk. They never had any accidents and made themselves comfy.

Having a real bed to sleep in after three days in the crowded van was also nice. I even was able to fill up the cooler with ice. We checked out right at 11am as the fog had lifted and we finally felt some warmth.

No comments:

Post a Comment