Friday, February 1, 2013

And then they were gone...


I managed to get out of the high school at a reasonable time and decided to drive to the animal shelter. When I go there after work that only leaves me around 90 minutes to play with all the dogs and photograph new ones. That's hardly quality time per dog, but at least it's a short time they can romp outside and relieve themselves.

I had been to the shelter twice this week already, but Fridays is when many people either drop off an animal or adopt one, and I didn't want to spend Saturday taking too many photographs while animals needed to be walked. I had stopped by yesterday only to be overwhelmed by eight new animals this week alone, including two young unsocialized chihuahua mixes that were dumped off at the last minute.

I had a premonition something was going on at the shelter as I drove up. Two air-conditioned Animal Control vans were parked outside. They are only there when animals are dropped off. Two Animal Control Officers (ACOs) were inside talking to Scott. One of the ACOs (who knows me from previous visits at the shelter taking photos) turned to me and said she was taking eight animals to a rescue in Tucson. One of the eight animals was Topaz. Others selected were Miranda, ShepGirl, Fable, Heinz and several of the newer residents: Marley, Shane, Momma. Several of the smaller dogs were already loaded.

I was relieved to hear Topaz and Miranda were getting pulled. Being the older dogs they stood less of a chance of being adopted. Topaz had grown attached to me; she always jumped with joy at my voice. Miranda was opening up but still very demoralized by being at the shelter, abandoned by her previous family.

All of the photos here are of the dogs rescued from the shelter.

I didn't have time to spend alone with Topaz today. I never even got a decent photo of us two together. I took her out of her kennel just long enough so she could pee and poop in the backyard. She was more interested in sniffing the scents of others, but once she did her business I surrendered her to one of the ACOs and then got Miranda, and let her poop and pee as well before handing her off. I did the same to ShepGirl, that always-exuberant, happy-go-lucky spasmatic puppy that loved to run around the yard. She had been languishing at the shelter since Christmas, yapping in her high-pitched bark. Despite her youth she didn't stand a chance of getting adopted here because of her hyperactivity.

All eight dogs were placed in compartmented dividing spaces in the back, with small holes through the outside for one to place a hand in and pet. Topaz whimpered and let me pet her. I reassured her that she was going to be OK and that her life will turn around soon.

Chaos reigned at the sheler. I sensed tension there and opted to get out of everyone's way. I should have just stayed in the back and walked the remaining dogs: Tia, Rottie, the sick pit-boxer boy with mustard diarrhea, since that is what I came to do anyway. I'll do that tomorrow morning.

As I was petting Topaz through the hole one of the ACOs came up to me and thanked me for the photographs of the animals on Facebook. I had been taking all the animal shots and uploading them on the various animal rescue sites in Cochise County. My write-ups and photos were used to promote these animals to a reputable rescue site out of Tucson, Cold Wet Noses. She took my hand, introduced herself, asked for my name, and thanked me for doing my job in networking these animals. I got a bit sentimental there, as I always thought I was doing this passion discretely.

"They are going to PACC (Pima Animal Care Center in Tucson) for now until fosters can be found. They will not be put down" the other ACO said. PACC is known to quickly kill off its excess animals. Having Cold Wet Noses involved reassures me that Topaz and her seven rescued packmates will be safe.

As I drove on home by 3:45pm I got a bit choked up thinking about Topaz' fate. She had been the impetus for my visits to the shelter; coming by and gently talking to her and slowly getting her accustomed to other dogs near her. I hadn't been spending much time with her this week because of all the new animals arriving daily, and today was the day I wanted to devote to her. I'll miss that soul and will only hope she does go to a good home, a home that will love and enjoy her and where she can flourish as the Alpha Dog. I wish the same for Miranda and the other dogs.

For me the story of Topaz ended well. But I have only been volunteering at the shelter for three weeks. There will be plenty of Topaz and Miranda stories and I'm sure not all will end happily. That is the fate of animal rescue and I must grow stronger in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment