Sunday, February 10, 2013

Council Rocks (Dragoons)


An old friend was supposed to meet me at 9am by the Sierra Vista mall at Sears to walk the multitrail for two miles with me. She claimed I had inspired her to get back into shape. She was tired of being fat and was ready to start a fitness regimen.

She never showed up. Minnie and I waited for 45 minutes. Feeling a bit abandoned, I apologized to Minnie who was expecting a nice walk. I wasn't angry at being stood up since I had a book to read to idle the time, but I know Minnie was wondering why we were sitting in the van when there were trails outside to explore.

A few hours later I opted to explore the Council Rocks in the Dragoons area with Robin and five dogs: Sadie, Minnie, Zeke and her Odie and Dusty. I have been wanting to hike the trail I did with the hiking club in May 2009, but couldn't find any websites mentioning its beginning. Most websites just mention the FR687K trailhead parking lot, from which the rocks are a short uphill climb. When I last hiked to Council Rocks, I remember the trail started in Slavin Gulch and then skirted off the main trail to an unmarked side trail going north.

Today's hike wasn't so much a hike as it was a bushwhack across the desert for a few miles. We had turned off on FR687K from North Middlemarch Road a few miles north of Tombstone. This is a short bumpy forest road 1/8 mile to a small parking area. Council Rock was right there, a short hop up big boulders to get to the pictographs. There were two other vehicles parked here. A couple wintering from Alaska were already relaxing on the rocks.


The dogs had fun running up, over and under large boulders. Minnie and Dusty get along very well. Dusty likes her chasing him; he doesn't turn around and attack her, either, which is what Zeke does.

We were in the Dragoons for two hours and probably walked two miles at a slow pace while the dogs ran around and chased each other. It would have been nice to have had more time to wander around, though, as there are so many hidden crevices among the big rocks where one can find solace and gaze over the horizon. Emery oaks grow out of shaded crevices and provide hide-outs for tired hikers. I could get lost in these rocks. Old Apache mortars also collected some snow water which the dogs appreciated. The advantage of starting late in the afternoon is having the warmth above. It was very comfortable weather today with no breeze.

I had last been here to Council Rocks in May 2009 with the hiking club. Sadie was just over a year old. Old Bill had led the hike and it was a good six mile hike from another trailhead. We stopped at Council Rocks and listened to Bill tell the story of Cochise meeting General Howard here for a peace treaty. There are pictographs on many of the rock walls here. But where was the trail? There are so many faint trails here, and cattle trails that it's easy to get confused which trail to follow. I walked around looking for the main trail but nothing looked familiar. Most trails we came across ended at shadowed resting spots that surely were the homes of the ancient Apache. The trail I remember skirted the boulders. I don't remember it being a difficult trail.

Since we didn't get here until 2pm we didn't have time to go for a long hike. I wanted to be back at the truck by 4pm because the drive back to SV would be another hour and I don't like driving backroads at night.

The views from the rocks in all directions is just so magical. The cooler-than-normal weather this week makes the rocks even more enticing, as the rocks reflect the heat in the summer. I want to enjoy these rocks for as long as we can in the winter months.

There were a few puddles left of melted snow for the dogs to drink out of, so I only needed one bottle for the dogs. I didn't bring any snacks, either as this wasn't so much a hike as it was an exploratory walk.

I told Robin I'd love to spend the night here sometime just so I can watch the sunset reflect against the orange-hued rocks as I can see the Dragoons from my rooftop. There were seveal horse campers out today perhaps with the same intention.

2 comments:

  1. I use Goggle Earth to check out areas I'm not familiar with. I can take coordinates of where I want to go and put them in my GPS.

    ReplyDelete