Thursday, July 1, 2010

Humphreys Peak

My plan was to hike up Humphreys Peak this holiday weekend. However, the 15,075-acre Schultz fire in that mountain range had closed off the entire San Francisco Peaks area. Now the Forest Service, which has declared the Schultz fire 100% contained, has opened the western trails of those mountains, which is where Humphreys is. The peak is the tallest peak in Arizona at 12,433' tall.

I've been wavering back and forth about going to Flagstaff, especially now that thunderstorms are forecasted all weekend. But if I don't at least attempt the peak with my full packpack on, I may be hurting myself later in California.

I plan on taking Sadie with me. She hasn't been excited about her nightly hikes, though. Perhaps because she feels slighted by the other two dogs who seem to want to ignore her. Perhaps the late afternoon heat still tires her out. Or perhaps she just hasn't been feeling well. The only thing she really enjoys eating are raw meats and people food.

No comments:

Post a Comment