Monday, July 5, 2010

To the saddle and up Carr Peak












Distance: 7.8 miles
Elevation: Saddle at 8820', Carr Peak 9100+
Trailhead: Ramsey Vista Campground, 6700'

I finally made it up a peak today and I think I know why I have been so tired and nauseous the last two days: there is a spider bite on my lower left arm! Perhaps I have have had a slight reaction to the toxin?

Sadie and I started our hike at 9:56am. We took our time as it was hot and dry. Sadie did her frolic dance in the parking lot, but within an hour was tired, thirsty and by my side because the first mile is mostly exposed rock. I, too felt slow. It took me over an hour to reach the aspen groves; normally I get there within an hour. I had no time to beat, so I didn't mind being so slow. It was just nice to be on a mountain again. It seems as if I hadn't been on a peak in weeks.

There was no water anywhere on this trail, but I brought plenty for us.

Wildflowers were all in bloom: From sunflowers and Crownbeards to blue Flax and Purple Vervain, Firecracker Penstimon and Cardinal's Cape to a few others I didn't know. The cacti had already bloomed and the red salvias are still waiting. They will boom for me in September. The young aspens were infested with what look like bag worms, though and there were plenty of flying insects in the higher elevation. The humus and soil smell in the aspen grove, though, I find energizing.

I heard all kinds of birds this time, from titmice to red-tailed hawks and hummingbirds. And since there were so many people on the trail, some with small children heading up to Carr Peak, I wanted to give them the right of way and instead of heading up to the peak right away, hiked another 1.5 miles to the Bathtub Springs intersection in the saddle and sat in a shaded overlook to take in the scenery. I never did find the bathtub springs, though, although I recognize the intersection from last year when Sadie and I hiked the Miller Creek trail in the fall.

I hadn't hiked this section from Carr Peak to the tub in five years so it was nice to see Carr and Miller Peaks from the saddle. There were many blow-downs on the Carr side, from the peak trail to the intersection with Miller Creek. We were all alone here, although at one point Sadie took off to bark at someone. I didn't call her name and she came back to me, so I assume whoever she barked at didn't want to be seen. I let it be. This section is still popular with border crossers.

We made it to Carr Peak at 2:45, a late peak for me. But what fun it was to sit there with cliff swallows buzz diving around me! They didn't chirp, they just flew toward me like stealth fighters. By now the blue sky was getting overcast and provided a cool shade for us, allowing us to get back down to the car by 4:30pm. All the hikers who were on the trail were now gone.

I wore my Vasques dayhikers today because I momentarily forgot where my other better boots were (in the garage!). I now have a nickel-sized blister on my right heel and several hotspots.

No comments:

Post a Comment