Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Getting ready for California

Erin's visit kept me from getting my stuff ready for the JMT. All my gear and then some has been stashed in the dining room corner waiting to be inventoried and packed. I didn't even send off my resupply bucket to the Muir Trail Ranch until yesterday, sending it via Parcel Post for $13+ because the Priority Mail price of $25with the same delivery date (8 July) seemed steep.

My main concern now is: am I mentally ready? I don't feel so. But like Kevin said, Erin's visit distracted me. He thinks I am ready because he thinks I am in shape.

Today I am taking my Ford Escape to my auto shop to have the tacks in my tires removed. None of the tires deflated over the eight days the truck has been parked in the front. I just hope the tires hold up during the ten-mile drive into town!

I have a few other errands to get done in town as I realized that this is the last week I have to get ready for the 2010/11 school year. I need a new school badge, need to make other preparations for the year and get my other supplies in order. When I get back from California I will be jumping right into the classroom.

The July 4th holiday also starts this weekend, which was perhaps my biggest revelation yesterday. I had planned on driving up to Flagstaff to conquer Mount Humphries with Sadie. Now it looks like that area will get thunderstorms both Friday and Saturday. Should I risk the five-hour drive just to get washed out? Monsoonal clouds have been forming in the south these last few days, with isolated small showers across the San Pedro Valley, but we haven't had any decent rain yet. What has fallen so far has evaporated before hitting the ground. Hurricane Alex, however, promises to give us some relief by this weekend. It may be a soggy holiday weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment