Sunday, April 11, 2010

Lazy weekend

School assignments kept me from taking the trails this weekend. Yesterday we drove down to Parker Canyon lake to meet with a trail maintenance crew but somehow missed the group. We drove around some forest roads, checking out trailhead parking areas, no luck. We ended up driving home by noon. I compensated last night by taking the dogs out for a star-lit walk through the neighborhood. I did the same tonight with a stronger breeze. I could see dust illuminate from my Petzl headlamp. Both nights it was in the 60s. No wonder my tomatoes are growing fast now.

Today we did a small hike up Hunter Canyon to the old homestead. The dogs got hot fast but there was plenty of water running in the canyon for the dogs to enjoy. I had gotten sick from drinking from my water bottle, to which Kevin asked

"Are you sure you didn't drink from the dogs' water bottle?" Had I poured back doggie drool into the bottle from a previous hike and had forgotten about the doggie germs? The bottle was full,though and void of any doggie floaties...still, the thought of drinking doggie drool is enough to make me queazy.

I felt fine by the time we got home.

None of my new camping gear has arrived yet but we continue to talk about upcoming hikes. Now Kevin wants to hike in the Gila Wilderness the weekend of Memorial Day and check out the Silver City Blues Festival. According to the sponsoring website, it's the largest blues festival in the Southwest.

It was a warm weekend. It hit the 80s both days but now a storm's brewing over southern California. I hope we get some of this rain. My front garden is looking so colorful and the area pink penstemons are in bloom. A neighborhood house has a yard full of pink penstemons and I got a stray seed from that growing nicely in my front yard. Those flowers are such long bloomers and invite the hummers.

No comments:

Post a Comment