Sunday, February 28, 2010

Carr Falls













We didn't get the rain as forecasted. The day began overcast and cold but dry. The rain didn't start to fall until after noon.

After running a few errands in town (I had been out of bird seed for several days and the wrens, sparrows, thrashers and pyrrhuloxia were getting hungry!) I decided, rather on a whim, to drive up Carr Canyon Road to take some winter scene shots. The road was closed so I parked at the waterfall. And this time I walked up the canyon, along the rocks, and saw water gushing downhill. I had never been there, nor seen so much water in this canyon. I can see why so many locals come up these rocks to drink beer (and trash the place) while gazing down into the valley. It's a little hide-out with gorgeous views.

I was wearing my six-year-old day hikers. These boots aren't the safest anymore, especially on wet lichen and slippery slopes, so we didn't venture too far up the falls. The higher I got, the wetter I got as well as the fog turned to rain and then a light snow. Despite the cold rain I was having fun discovering new sites.

The rain clouds were overhead, adding a wet fog around us. The sky was obviously a dull grey most of the day so the photos aren't brilliantly blue, but there is enough green coming up from new growth to add some wonderful subtle color to otherwise cold and wet scenes.

The dogs had fun, too, running around the rocks and dipping into the cold water. As old as Sara is now, when she's near water or mud she's like a two-year-old dog all over again. After yesterday's long hike, I wanted to make sure both Sammy and Sara got their rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment