Saturday, November 21, 2009

Carr Peak in November









Temperatures outside registered 50F at 8am. That meant more like upper 30s at the peak.

I didn't even leave the house until 9am, not expecting anyone to be at the meet-up place. No one had emailed or called me saying they wanted to hike the peak today. And to be honest, I had to force myself in the mood to climb this peak today. It started out feeling more like a chore.

This month I hiked alone with Sadie. There was no one in the parking lot at 9:07am when I drove by (it's a mere seven minutes to drive here from my house) and proceeded to drive up the five-mile forest road to the Ramsey Vista campground where the trail begins. I got to the trailhead at 9:32am, fought Sadie as she refused to carry her pack, and was on my way uphill by 9:37am. We were the only car in the parking lot.

It was warmer than expected at the trailhead. I did't go far before stopping to remove my red fleece over jacket, something I never put back on. The dense Cool-Max long-sleeved army shirt I wore kept me comfortable the entire hike. And surprisingly, my hands never got cold.

I didn't meet anyone until I reached the last half mile, as two young men descended the peak.

All the decidious trees were now baren. The lack of any color along this entire route made this a rather drab hike; one had to take close-ups of dormant buds or small herbaceous flowers hiding under piles of dead leaves to see any life. Whatever high winds had blown here within the last month had blown off the last of the dying leaves. The oaks and maples were now naked. A few stubborn seedheads of the dead thistle and sage remained, and a few lonely oaks, but what I saw today was a baren trail with naked trees on either side. Colors were gone. Even birds were few, as all I saw today was one red-tailed hawk and a couple of raven, and on my descent a flicker chirping in a nearby dead pine.

Winds were calm until we made our final ascent that last 1/3 mile to the peak. I didn't stay long at the top. I photographed the panorama and then went down silently with Sadie by my side. I neither stopped for water or food, nor did she want any.

Four more men were going uphill on my descent. It was a quiet hike today with no one to chat with, and Sadie just followed along.

We got back to the truck at 12:37am, three hours after taking off. The last two times I hiked this peak it took me over four hours to hike this peak, taking breaks at the summit and chatting.

I was home shortly after 1pm and a temperature of upper 60Fs.

No comments:

Post a Comment