Saturday, November 7, 2009

Brown Canyon











I had forgotten how lovely this canyon is. It had been four years since I've been here.

I met Bill at the trailhead but then he went ahead while I waited five more minutes for anyone else to show up. No one else did.

Thet railhead was full with hikers and snowbirds from Minnesota and Wisconsin. A long horse trailer from Fort Huachuca took up the most space, getting horses and the 1880s-era US troops in position. While most went to the Brown Canyon ranch, we stayed on the jeep trail until we dropped down a small incline and slowly ascended the trail up Brown Canyon.

Trees were showing severe drought stress, as mazanitas in the wash were dead! But further up the canyon sycamores in their bright yellows and maples in their reds delighted us in fall colors. We stopped at the horse trough, drank some water, and walked north on the Brown Canyon Road back to Ramsey Road, where we walked the last mile or so on the pavement. I saw new vantage points I had never seen before.

This was a lovely walk, and the company was lovely. I hadn't hiked with Bill in a long time. Afterwards he welcomed me to join him at Bonnie's Lounge for beer. Although it wasn't quite 11am yet (a bit early to drink!) I joined him for the company, and discovered that some of the Applebee crowed was there as well. I don't know them all by name, but they are a staple crowd at Applebee's in the afternoon.

"Aha, I've discovered your Saturday morning hang-out!"
"You sure did!" Bill smiled back.

The converation today at the bar was about the Muslim major, Nidal Malik Hasan who shot and killed 13 soldiers at Fort Hood Thursday morning. I have never heard of an officer going on a killing spree like this, but a Muslim officer may reveal a dark and harrowing connection to more secret, deeper motives. We had talked about this same topic yesterday as well.

Doc wants the man to survive and be put to death. To which I agree, but I added "He should be executed Islamic style: by cutting off his head!" Not exactly the kind of topic I enjoy on a late Saturday morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment