Sunday, February 11, 2024

The Seven Hills of Bisbee

 The storm has now passed.  Temps are a bit warmer and sunnier, but still wintery.

I walked Fritz and Gretchen separately around the neighborhood before driving back home.  I tied Gretchen to the Ford Escape, with her 20' lead, then drove with Fritz to Bisbee.  After yesterday's performance, it will be a long time before she's off leash.  I wanted to hike the Seven Hills again.  It's been a few years since my last walk along that route.  I wanted to see how yesterday's snow affected the trail.  

The trail is a loop along a ridge that encircles Bisbee.  Elevation gain is 2634,' although it is a gradual rise. The flora is high desert. It's an exposed trail of around five miles with views of the old town.  Elevation along the ridge levels out at 6200,' with desert grasses, cholla, prickly pear, sotols,yuccas, and emory oaks dotting the landscape.

I got to town a few minutes before 1pm, only to find out that the Kafka Cafe now closes at 1pm instead of 2pm.  I had hoped to enjoy a cappuccino before starting.   Instead, I met a young man outside the entrance tinkering on his motorcycle, with a bumpersticker with "Viva Terlingua."  Turns out the man, Matthew, has been to that desolate Texas mining town three times.


I kept Fritz on leash until we were away from town and on the trail, meeting one couple walking in the opposite direction.  They told me the trail was clear of most snow.


Fritz did beautifully again, staying close by and always looking back at me.  He likes to be up front but stays at no more than 50m from me.  I passed another couple along the ridgeline, who both praised Fritz for his beauty.


I went back into town via the old water tank, creating a bit of a back walk before getting back to Brewery Gulch and a late lunch at The Quarry, where dogs are allowed in the front of the restaurant.  The food is good, but the grunge music is a turn-off.  A group of four elderly people walked out before getting waited on.


I stopped at the river on the way home.  Water has risen but the flow is stagnated.  We only did a half-mile before getting back home just after 4pm, to Gretchen watching from inside the Ford.


No comments:

Post a Comment