Sunday, November 7, 2021

Missing Zeke

I had a quiet weekend.  I didn't do any hiking, but I did spend time with the dogs, starting with a 4:30pm river ramble Friday after school with five dogs (I prefer to take no more than four at a time), then more laps with them Saturday morning, and a final river ramble today.  Today all six dogs were walked and I feel good when all the young dogs can get at least a fast mile in.  I walked Gretel and Sahne at dusk when I got home from the river, as the waxing crescent moon set behind the mountains and Venus shone brightly to the moon's northwest.

I was in a funk again and didn't do much else but preview some documentaries I plan on showing the kids for next semester.  It was a beautifully mild autumn day, ideal for hiking, and I spent most of it indoors.

I watched the 2012 Australian movie "Red Dog" in the afternoon.  Red Dog was a real dog in western Australia who wandered around Hamersly and Dampier, mining towns on the coast, after his owner John died in a car crash.  The dog was a favorite of everyone who met him, and he was able to unite even the most extreme people.  He only lived eight years and his death took the townsfolk hard.  A monument was erected where he died.

It was a well-acted movie, with the red sand and desert backdrop in all the shots.

The move brought me to tears because Red Dog's expressions were so much like Zeke's.  Both dog had that "happy look" that endeared them to people.  This is the first time in three weeks I broke down about Zeke, and it came on fast.

https://tubitv.com/movies/476668/red-dog?start=true

No comments:

Post a Comment