Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Sunrise walk around Brown Canyon ranch

The build-up of clouds yesterday afternoon predicted a 20% chance of rain today or tomorrow.  Early morning clouds mean a dramatic sunrise, so I got up early to take Zeke on a walk around the area.  I knew if I don't walk early, the heat later on will just tire me out too much. It was 67F when I started at 5:05am.



I was the first one in the parking lot.  Another elderly couple was already ahead of me, walking toward the ranch on the main road.  I veered off the main road to continue my walk on the signed Brown Canyon Ranch trail.  This trail takes me away from car traffic and offers ample views around me.  No one else crossed my path until I was back near the parking lot. 


I've done this loop many times now with Susan and wanted to recon it myself to see what kind of elevation this walk would have if I ever led it as a sunrise walk.  I made it to the duck pond (1.3 m) but then took a deer trail around the pond and back to the Nature Loop.  Somewhere along here I lost my way and never made it to the perimeter trail, cutting off a half-mile.  I did get to the turkey trough at 1.9 m, then just continued up the overlook hill before descending and getting back to the parking lot.  An older woman with long white hair ahead of me yelled back at me to put Zeke on his leash, but Zeke was right by my side and not bothering anyone.  It was her own unruly Akita that needed to be on his leash.


I stopped in town to have a hazelnut cappuccino at the new Nirvana's Cup of Joe coffee shop, where dogs are allowed on the patio.  I had just posted a review on Yelp when an off-duty employee sat down at my table and treated me to a shop-baked cinnamon roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment