Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Carr Peak with Zeke and Hansel

Weather for today looked promising:  a high of "only 89F with increased clouds.  Chance of precipitation increased from 16 to 23 to 50 percent for later in the afternoon.  What better weather to hike a peak for the month.

I went alone, with the intent of bagging the peak quickly and getting back home before any rain fell.  Steve and I had our beer meet at BoneDry at 3pm, so I just needed to be showered and refreshed by 2pm.


I finally left the house at 0630.  Carr Canyon Road was quiet, but two vehicles were off the road, just past the lower parking area, and both at precarious angles.  As if they were rammed off the road.  Neither vehicle was able to pull back safely on the road. The older green pickup hit an oak tree with enough force  uproot one of its main trunks.  The white Toyota sedan further uphill had a broken front right headlight and a cracked rear signal.  What had happened?  A failed human smuggling event?  Drag racing down the mountain road?  A passing attempt gone wrong? No other damage to either vehicle was visible.  There were no people inside either car.  Both vehicles were gone by noon when I drove back down the road.


I began my hike at 0705 from the Old Sawmill trailhead, my preferred trail as the Sawmill Springs is a half-mile up the trail.  Sadly, there was NO WATER in the bathtub!  Even the dogs were surprised.  Luckily I had 3/4 gallon of water for the

I was the only vehicle in the parking lot.  I didn't see anyone until I got to the trail intersection with the Carr Peak connector trail at the 3/4-mile mark, a young man and his dog Rush whom I met again on the peak.  He turned out to be a 2018 Buena High School graduate who recognized me.


The trail, as expected, was dry, but despite the drought there were the seasonal flowers: firecracker penstemon, yellow sunflowers, and the tall common mullein stalks and the white flowers which bees like so much.  While there weren't many flowers, seeing some color finally brought some good news. Too many of the young pines growing post Monument Fire 2011, however, are dying from the drought.  And many of the oaks are dropping their leaves.


Both dogs did well on this hike.  They were at their best behavior.  I stopped twice to give them water. Hansel darted off a few times to chase deer, but didn't run far.  Unlike Gretel, he likes to stay nearby to keep an eye on me.  


The horizon in all directions was hazy from the area brushfires, but I didn't see any

fireline north of me when on Carr Peak.

The young man and his dog caught up with me and together we chatted a good 30 minutes on top of Carr.  He knew the man who was shot dead in town Monday night (I knew him, too, and wasn't surprised at his fate).  Caiden now works for UPS but is also active hiking and rock climbing and mountain biking.  We talked about long-distance hiking, the John Muir Trail and other backpacking adventures.  Oh, to be young again!  I just don't know how much longer my back will hold out. I'm just grateful I can still walk.

Clouds were beginning to form over the southern horizon and the breeze cooled down as I returned to the car.  I met another couple but returned to my lonely Honda in the parking area.  Not too many people camp or hike mid-week, but I was glad to have done a peak for the month of June and still have most of the day ahead of me.


I showered, put on fresh clothes and then met SteveT for our usual beer met, this time at BoneDry.  It's the only time I drink beer now, avoiding the brew due to the heat. It rained briefly while we were inside, enough to flood the streets, but nothing fell over our neighborhood.

At 6pm I was back at the dog park with Hansel, Sahne and Wolfie.  I now have ads for them on Facebook, but no one came by to meet them. The rain had cooled the late afternoon and clouds remained over the mountains. I hope we get more rain moving forward.  I'm tired of seeing brown mountainsides.


https://www.myheraldreview.com/news/crime/argument-between-two-men-leads-to-fatal-shooting-police-say/article_4fe0177c-d38f-11eb-8903-cf2d3c9b7412.html

***

Global cases: 180,810, 186

Global deaths: 3,926,634

US cases: 34,450,133 (+2461)

US deaths: 618,337 (+76)

AZ cases: 891,023 

AZ deaths 17,868

IN cases 752,108 

IN deaths 13,816

MO cases: 612,528 (a hotspot right now)

MO deaths: 9846


No comments:

Post a Comment