Saturday, February 20, 2021

Bushwhacking up NW Dome and Bruce Mountain (Mustang Mountains near Whetstone)


 

Length: 2.7 miles

Duration: 4.45 hours

Cumulative Ascent: 1523 ft.

Significance: Vistas, fossils and quartz crystals







I finally got to bag this prominent rock off SR82.  This had been on my bucket list for several years.  

Bruce Mountain, aka "The Biscuit" is named after Charles Morelle Bruce, who served as Secretary of Arizona Territory from 1893-1897 under the Cleveland Administration, and as Assistant Commissioner of the General Land Office from 1913-1921.

SteveS from the hiking club led this hike. It turned out to be very close to the route that SteveT and I had attempted last year but had to cancel due to SteveT having difficulty with the steep, loose, uneven terrain.  The nearly three-mile route took us five hours.


We were a group of ten:  SteveS,RodC,JohnS, DougB, GeanS, BillC, RyanD, JimA, Ellen amd I with Zeke.  Zeke is starting to show his age lately by slowing down and having more difficulty maneuvering steps, but Hansel is too hyper for this group.

We parked by the saddle between Bruce and NWDome.  It was 8:45am and 58F SteveS led us straight up the side of the hill to get to the top of NW Dome, the taller of the two peaks.  This began in the cool shade, but this was a steep and rocky slope covered with shindaggers and other pokey flora over limestone slab filled with fossils: caphopods, echinoderm parts, bryozoa, pelecyopods, gastropods and crinoids.  Gazing at these fascinating fossils enticed me to stop and photograph the rock, slowing me down. 

My lack of breakfast quickly made itself felt.  I also regretted not packing my trekking poles again, so I had to use an agave stalk again.  The wind was also strong, preventing me from wearing my drawcord-less hat and having my hair fly all over the place.

Our first stop was the top of NWDome, a rocky ridge with little shade peaking out at 6162'.  There is now a weatherstation on the northwest side of this dome that was not here in January 2020. The wind now made its presence known, causing our snot to blow out our noses and my hat to fly off my head, causing me to yell out "Ah shit!" loudly, an exclamation I yelled out twice on this hike to the shock of everyone else.  I ended up carrying my  Tilley hat for most of this hike as the wind never relented.  Note to self: get a drawcord for that hat!

We had our first break on this rocky ridge as we sat on the warm rocks facing Mustang Peak, at 6279' the tallest peak in this range.  Zeke had water, I ate a few tangerines, and then we carefully descended to continue on to Bruce Mountain. This rocky ridge required one's fullest attention.


I was near the end of the group, holding a hat and watching for Zeke and using my other hand to hold up an agave stalk for support.  I used that stalk for the entire hike.  We regrouped to then continue on the east side of Bruce Mtn (6082'), following a narrow trail along the rock slab, with its shiny metal rock climbing mounts visible.  Getting to the top from our path was a slow stepping process, climbing up steep limestone rock, shin daggers and other pokey things.  

We caught a brief respite on this climb to explore a small shelter cave near the top, with beautiful quartz crystals near the opening.  This opening was just large enough for a person to seek protection.  It was near this little cave that I yelled out my second "ah shit!" when I saw Jim's bloodied right lower leg. Alcohol wipes and a large bandage over that laceration brought that wound to a quick halt.


  




 Soon after that cave the path climbed the final ascent from the north. We had followed a faint trail.  Zeke managed well, but he struggled like I did.  I kept thinking of what SteveS told me last week, that this hike would be more of a "grasswhack" compared to the bushwhack up Bruce Mountain.  HAR HAR HAR

 

I was glad to get to the peak. I sought shelter in the rock shelter and gave Zeke his meal while everyone else plopped down on the peak facing the north and had their lunch.  Zeke needed a shady rest but he insisted on following me all over the peak as I walked around to look at the views.  The Mustangs are not a large nor a tall mountain range, but the views in all directions  the peaks here worth exploring. Steve entered all our names in a notepad that had been left in a registry jar in the rock shelter. 


This was a loop hike. The descent on the northside was no more easier than the ascent.  We stopped briefly at a plaque  for Mr Bruce, mounted on the north rock wall in 1922 "by his friends and fellow pioneers ...in recognition as a pioneer in the first settlement of the county."  The plaque now is hidden by brush and it not easily seen.  The rock here is laden with protruding fossils. This makes me wonder why this plaque was mounted here and not somewhere more prominent.  Nature does have a funny way of taking back the land.


It was all downhill from here...steeply downhill as we headed back to more level terrain near the base of the mountain for a final push back to the cars.  Luckily no one had any more injuries although I did fall once but quickly recovered.  My legs ended up with plenty of pole holes by the time we got back to our cars.  It was 1:45pm and 72F.

r

Zeke got more water and food here, I drank my iced tea, picked up some brass that careless target shooters left behind, and admired the rising waxing gibbous moon over the saddle.  

We all broke off for the drive back home once everyone was back at the parking lot.  My stomach was cramping by now, something I contribute to perhaps not drinking enough water.  I munched on some white cheddar CheezIts while driving, to stifle my hunger.  The cramps persisted for several hours until I had dinner and some leftover coffee from the morning.


***

Global cases 111,929,849

Global deaths 2,484,235

US cases 28,706,421 (+73,392)

US deaths 509,875 (+2209)

AZ cases 806,163 (+2047)

AZ deaths 15,480 (+59)

IN cases 654,660 (+1415)

IN deaths 12,336 (+11)


 





No comments:

Post a Comment