Sunday, December 1, 2019

Back home

I didn't quite make it back last night.  I ended up stopping in Lordsburg, NM.  It was a very cold night.  I made it to the Chiricahua mountainss at sunrise but the sunrise was rather nondescript.

There was evidence south on AZ80 of flooding from the storm that blew over the area Wednesday-Friday.  Puddles were along the road and in patches in the desert.  When I stopped at the San Pedro River to walk the dogs by the Hereford bridge for a quick leg stretcher, I had to divert to the standard trail Susan and I take, but even that trail was muddy.  I missed a massive flooding here!  Grass was still bent over a good 100 yards from the water's edge. Minnie was glad to be at the river, but even she was smart enough not to dive in for fast-moving sticks, stumps and snags.  It's going to take a good week of sunshine to dry up the mud, and more rain is forecasted for Wednesday.

I finally made it home at 9:30am. I had driven 2152 miles.  I was glad to be back.  Kevin was also relieved, and Sadie and Sweetie were insistent that I walk them, too.  I finally did another walk at 4pm, along the maintenance road, where the roadside stockpond is filled up again.  Who knows for how long that water will last, but for now it's a much-enjoyed dip for the dogs on our morning walks.

Gasoline prices dropped from $2.56 to $2.48 in the week I was gone.  There's still snow on the peaks, but the trees in the front yard still have yellow leaves and my potted tomato plant is still alive.  Each year the leaves take longer to drop off the trees.

Another "wicked" storm is heading toward Boston now. California is getting another one, too.  I'm glad I didn't have to deal with heavy rains while on the road.  Now I need to ask myself if I should risk driving to Indiana for Christmas.  Both Carol and Erin are wanting me there. I really don't want to drive in that blustery, icy region for the holidays, but I'd feel guilty if something were to happen to Carol before I get the chance to see her again next summer.

https://weather.com/news/weather/video/brief-warm-up-will-give-way-to-brutal-cold

No comments:

Post a Comment