Saturday, September 14, 2019

Doggie Dip Day at Fort Huachuaca's Irwin Pool

This year's Doggie Dip Day was today, from 9am-noon and included a Mutt March that started at 8am.  I only wanted to do the pool with Minnie for $5, but ended up signing up for both for $10.  I figured she could walk as far as she wanted, warm up a bit, and then cool off in the water.  Walking would also loosen her bowels before entering the pool and I wanted her to poop in the desert, and not on the outdoor carpeting by the poolside. For five additional dollars I got a blue dry-wick t-shirt!

Minnie lasted .2 miles on the multi-use path on Irwin Road before we turned around.  By then it was 9am and she was one of the first dogs in the water.  She recognized the pool from last year and couldn't wait to go in.

Weather today was cooler than last year's event.  Last year's even was also from 2-4pm, when heat is at its highest.  This morning it was only in the low 70s, with overcast grey clouds overhead the entire time.


There were fewer people this year.  I'm thinking because it started earlier and people like to sleep in on the weekends.  And it was cooler.  I also think many people left after two separate dog fights early on.  The first fight started by a smaller dog attacking a boxer.  The second fight was a pack attack of eight dogs ganging up on a larger dog.  Luckily Minnie had no interest in fighting, or even playing with other dogs.  She was totally focused on me, the water, and the tennis balls that were everywhere.  Today was her day.  I got to watch her swim.  She is so at ease in the water, so at peace.


I stayed for the entire three hours.  Most people seemed to stay for an hour,  to participate in some of the dog-centric events like "Best Kisser" "Longest Jump". etc, but I wanted today's even to be a therapeutic session for Minnie, since walking seems to pain her. I threw the ball in the deep side of the pool so she would have to jump in and swim laps as she swam back to the ramp on the shallow end.  Then I'd walk around the pool to help her get her wind back.  I'd repeat the ball throws, and after a few laps relax in the kiddie pool, where many other dogs were chilling with their owners.  Most of these dogs had a fear of the water, or had never been in a pool before.  There was also a large group of small dogs that stayed under the canopy the entire time and never got into the water.  They were there because their owners were chatting with friends.


New this year were several sponsors, like Dog Training "Sit Means Sit," Papa John's Pizza, Carmen's Furbabies dog treats. I got to talk to Carmen, bought some of her Liver Snaps, and had two slices of free pizza.  The pizza was a nice treat as I was getting hungry.


I met a few people I recognized, including a Sergeant Major I served with in Iraq.  A few others were students at the high school.  But none of my friends showed up, which was a bit disappointing, as water time is so healthy for older dogs with mobility issues.  Susan had texted me at 9am to tell me she couldn't sleep the night before and had just woken up and wasn't going to make it.  (I know that feeling!) The good thing about being alone is that I went right back home when the event finished and didn't spend any money on a post-swim meal.  I didn't even stop at the Class VI store on post to look at or buy craft beer.


I was home by12:45am and was welcomed by three jealous dogs.  They had their turn for exercise at 5pm when I took them to Hunter Canyon under a gentle drizzle to walk two miles.  I had to park a quarter mile up the road because another car pulled into the lot at the same time I did, and the driver had a child with her.




It would have been the perfect day to hike up Carr Peak in the morning, but I'm glad Minnie got her pool time.  I wish I could take her to a pool more often than once a year.  There's an indoor dog pool in Tucson, but that requires a "first swim" assessment by the staff, and all vaccines to include canine flu and hepatitis.  That would be another $60 just to get Minnie eligible to swim for 30 minutes.   Today's even required dogs to have rabies and the parvo vaccine, and no dog could enter without proof of both vaccines.

No comments:

Post a Comment