Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Beautiful, dramatic morning

Our evenings and mornings are cooling down now, making my walks more enjoyable as long as there is light.  This morning I knew I was walking the dogs (Minnie stayed home) and I was immediately accosted with the smells of wet creosote and sage.  Would it rain today?


The smell of creosote, sage and blooming mesquite invigorate me.  I'm glad I had the chance to walk the dogs during a dramatic cloud cover.  I knew I wouldn't see the sun rise because of the cloud cover, but clouds are just as dramatic as a rising sun.  Without clouds, there is no drama.

I walked the usual 3.2-mile route north of the Coronado National Forest warehouse, a course that is half on dirt road, the other half on abandoned pavement.  Sweety romped in the grass, followed at times by Zeke.  Their ears and tails would poke themselves above the lovegrass at times.  Sadie stayed by my side.

I even met Don again, the elderly man who walks every morning around the abandoned pavement with his walking pole.  "I haven't seen you in a while!" he said, so I gave him a winded summary of my summer.  I hadn't seen Don since April or so.  I told him that Minnie no longer wants to do these long walks.

The three dogs kept a good pace.  The sun finally poked above the cloud cover at 6:40am to immediately add some warmth to the walk.  By then I was ten minutes from getting back to the car.


And then one of the last shots I took before driving back home was San Jose Peak in Sonora, shrouded in clouds that gave the mountain a rather "presidential" appeal.


I love these refreshing, dramatic morning walks.  What a great way to start the day!
***

It was 67F when I started my walk, 73F when I finished.  It rose to 77F when I drove off to the middle school and 83F when I drove home.  It rained in isolated areas only.  The mountains saw some rain, but it ended up being a typical late summer day.  At 6pm I took the dogs out to Miller Canyon to walk another 1.2 miles in the shade.

No comments:

Post a Comment