Friday, March 15, 2019

Spring break road trip: California!

At 1pm today I'm on the road again. My Honda is packed to the brim.  Steve came by yesterday to install my crossbars so that I can put my luggage on the roof and use the inside for dog and me.

My son Eric returned from his Nigers, Africa deployment in January and I'm going to visit him and his wife Margaret in Fairfield (home of Travis AFB), and an old hiking friend in Santa Cruz, Karen.  I haven't seen Karen since my road trip to Monterey eight years ago.  I brought Sadie on that road trip but this time I'm bringing Zeke.  I don't have the room this time for two dogs to travel comfortably.  It's a two-day drive and I plan on camping out behind the George Patton museum at Chiriaco pass, breaking the drive in half.  The museum is on the south side of the Joshua Tree National Park and the poppies should be in full bloom!
34 

I took the entire pack on a sunrise walk this morning.  Heavy cloud cover diffused the sun, but it was still fun to get out so early. Tuesday's heavy rains and lingering snow melt have created seasonal streams along my route.  The creeks will surely be dry by the time I get back in ten days.



***



I left at1:34pm, "only"  minutes after my predicted time.  I stopped in west Tuscon near Starr Pass in the Tucson Mountains to hike a new dog-friendly trail in the Painted Hills.  The trails are still getting developed, but a 1.5-mile trail is done.  Zeke and I hiked it.  Most other trails in the Tucson Mountains are closed to dogs, so this is a treat.


 Once we finished this short trail, we drove the rest of the way into California, stopping in Quartzsite for a quick meal at the Carl's Jr and gassing up the car.



No comments:

Post a Comment