Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Day Six: Lagoon Valley Regional Park, Vacaville

Rain was forecasted all day for the area.  Dark clouds lingered overhead as I got up to walk with Zeke to the nearby Starbucks.  It was 9am.  The walk there and back was a mere mile, so if it began to rain, at least we got a mile in.  Zeke didn't mind the traffic but he did mind being tied up outside the coffee shop while I was inside.


Shortly after we returned to the apartment, it began to rain hard.  And then the wind kicked in. Rain came and went for several vollies before I decided to risk getting caught in a downpour and drove five miles to the Pena Adobe/ Laguna Valley regional park right off I-80.   It was 11:30am. These are two parks in one. I had been here before two years ago with Zeke and Minnie, but this time there were few cars parked outside the park.  Looks like the city is now enforcing the no parking zone now.  Last time I was here, drivers could park outside the park gate and walk in.


I parked at the historic adobe house and walked the road to the radio tower road, a three-mile o/b road.  There was a colony of feral cats around the adobe house that were not pleased with Zeke's presence.  (These cats weren't here last time I visited, most like offspring from an abandoned cat) Wind was blowing hard here and it did begin to rain again, but this was more of a drizzle.  It was the harsh wind I didn't care for.

I stayed on the paved paths and avoided the muddy dirt trails.  More cows were grazing right off the path again and Zeke paid no attention to them.  I focused on the dark clouds moving in off the ocean.  There were a few brazen walkers coming down the hill as I was going up, but even I said "screw this shit!" and turned around with a half-mile to go to the radio tower.  By now I had made my four-mile quota for the day and was happy to call it quits and head back to the apartment.  Hiking in high winds is no fun.  And it's even less fun in the rain.

Park visitors stayed mostly along the lagoon and dog park.  Despite the windy weather, I am glad I got my walking in and didn't have to drive far to do it. I had now hiked just under five miles for the day.  The next time I visit the area, I'll hike all the trails and rack in nine miles.  I just love the Bay Area's many regional dog-friendly parks.



https://www.mapmyhike.com/workout/3439631329


I was back in the apartment by 1pm and talked with Margaret some more.  She let me use their washer and I did have a load to clean.  When Eric came through the door at 5pm he was ready to eat, and tonight's meal was at the Slanted Tree in town, a beer pub known for its burgers.  The place was busy and our only seats were at the counter, where 6'8" Tim served us.  The place serves mostly California IPAs.  They were out of the one Hefe beer, so I chose a porter.

The burgers were huge and delicious.  We all left stuffed and I was $85 poorer.   So glad we were there during happy hour, or else the beers would have been $8 each!

No comments:

Post a Comment