Saturday, June 16, 2018

Tropical Storm Bud Light

We never got the overnight thunderstorms I was so looking forward to.  Perhaps TS Bud hit other areas more intently.  What we got along the border was a constant drizzle that soaked the top soil.  Hurricane Bud strolled through as a tropical storm Bud Light. Today's high was a cool 71F.

I took the pack out for a nice, long 4.4-mile walk around Ranchos San Pedro, using both dirt and paved roads.  A lone cyclist took advantage of the early morning tranquility and pedaled along the little-used roads.  Another walker nearby worked on his stride.  I kept away from civility and let the dogs run unimpeded.  I like getting good mileage in with these dogs as they tire out and don't bug me for another walk later on.

Heavy clouds lingered over the mountains.  I couldn't see San Jose peak in Sonora. Ramsey and Carr canyons were covered in a low, drifting fog.  I saw many more red mites today, more immigrant trash hidden in a ditch along a quiet intersection (the intersection I never see USBP lie in wait), and more beer cans and bottles.  I always make it a habit to clean up what I can, without making my walk weighed down by the bottles or cans.

The two young coyotes that entertained us last fall are gone, surely killed by the fire.  I miss their yips.  But we did come across two ground holes that are big enough for a coyote den. The dogs sniffed that but didn't dig in.  Sweety found what I think is a desert rat den and insisted on digging in.  She stuck her head in deep but luckily nothing came out except for her sandy head.

Minnie, as usual, struggled with the distance but I slowed down to her pace.  There were plenty of puddles to drink out of.  Both Sweetie and Sadie's butt fur was coming loose from all the walking.  Better outside than in the house!

Humidity was high and I felt it on my clothes.  I got home smelling of a wet desert, a scent of creosote, charcoal and wet sand.  This time I didn't bring home a swarm of insects.

It cleared up in the early afternoon for a few hours.  Big, white cumulus clouds dotted the sky before a second mass of wind and drizzle blew in in the late afternoon.

World Cup 2018 started yesterday.  Spain and Portugal tied with 3, France beat Australia 2-0.  I watched most of the Denmark-Peru match when I got back from my walk.  That Danish goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel is something else!  Watching him intercept attempted goals made me stare at the computer screen in total disbelief.  It was even more disbelieving when I realized I am now old enough to be his mom!

The big game I'm looking forward to is Sunday's match of Germany and Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment