Sunday, June 17, 2018

Slavin Gulch

The Slavin Gulch trail is in the western Dragoons, three miles north on FR 687 off Middlemarch Road north of Tombstone.  This is a popular swimming hole for the locals.
_____


The morning started out rough.  Sweetie had spent the night outside and was hugging the front door when I opened it for Bobby (who came in later).  She had darted outside when the front door blew open in a strong wind while I was gardening in the backyard the afternoon before. Two hours later I watched Germany lose to Mexico 1-0 in its first World Cup 2018 match.  Now I'll be rooting for whatever teams play Mexico. My World Cup season is already over.

The rain is now gone and the skies are clear again.  Temperatures will slowly creep up back into the 90s, with no rain forecasted all week.

Ellen returned from her month-long assignment in eastern Virginia yesterday.  We agreed to meet after her church service at noon.  I invited HollyW and SusanM and she invited her mountainbiking friend Adam.  We hiked the Gulch for 3.6 miles at a very leisurely 4.5 hours.  The weekend's rain and the cloud cover made for a fun, mellow walk among friends.

I first met Adam two years ago when he joined Ellen and me on a two-peaker up Miller and Carr peaks.  He drove down from eastern Tucson to meet us north of Tombstone.

The weather was milder and more cloudy than initially forecasted.  A few days ago it predicted 90F and sunny.  What we got instead was a pleasant 78F and cloudy, with a cool breeze.  I took Zeke along and he stayed by my side the entire time.  The rock-hopping probably tired him out some, as he took every rest break to his advantage.

Adam and Susan had never hiked up the Slavin Gulch trail and were in awe of the rock formations and water.  I was impressed with the water level.  So this is what three days of heavy rains result in!  All three pools offered water three feet deep.  Only Ellen went in all the way.  I wasn't dressed for dunking and didn't even tell Holly or Susan to expect to get wet.  I should have known that Ellen would want to get wet, DUH

The Slavin Gulch trail meanders uphill for four miles and ends at the Abril mine.  The first mile is fairly level, with minimal ascent. The Gulch follows the trail the first two miles before disappearing in a tight canyon.  The rocky uphill begins just past a rusty barbed-wire fence reduced to a foot in height.  This is where the pools begin.  During our dryer months, these pools disappear.  The Dragoon mountains were now lush green from the rain.

 We only hiked 1.8 miles before turning off the trail to the first slide.  There wasn't much water here but I was surprised to discover this place.  I've been to the three pools, but never this slide!

We walked back via the stream.  This slowed us down and tired us out, as we had to do several chimney holds to get down the boulders. (That's when one uses one's arms to press against a narrow rock wall on either side).  I had to take Zeke's ability into consideration and walk around large boulders or deep pools.  Despite the warmth, he didn't want to get totally wet. We stopped at every pool along the way.  We were in the Gulch for 4.5 hours!  I had told Kevin I'd be gone for three hours (plus 45 minutes each way for the drive, oops)

I didn't bring snacks for Zeke and me.  I'd left all that back in the truck.  But Susan gave Zeke her leftover cheese sandwich.  She now had a friend for life.

It's easier, faster and safer to just stay on the trail and drop down to each pool.  Susan, Holly and I did that while Ellen and Adam, the two Spring chickens, stayed mostly along the creek.  When we got to the lowest pool, and also my favorite because of its two waterfalls (both which were running today), I stayed behind in a shaded spot with Zeke.  He was looking rather tired now.

People were going uphill as we were hiking back to our trucks.  It was 6pm when we got back.  I dropped Susan back at her Jeep in Tombstone, Ellen dropped Adam back at his car off SR80, and after dropping Holly back at her car parked outside Ellen's home, we two went out to Culver's for a relaxing meal.  We were there for over an hour, talking about our extended families ("dysfunctional" being the key word here) and sharing parts of our childhood we hadn't done before.  She gave me her leftover hamburger, which included some cold fries and lettuce, and Zeke ate it all before we reached the intersection with Buffalo Soldier Trail and SR92 four miles to the South.  (He had more food once I got home)

"When I get older, I want a dog like Zeke!" said Ellen.

I got back home to a dark, quiet house.  Kevin was already asleep.  The dinner he had made, pasta with Italian sausage, was wrapped in the refrigerator. He sure had a lot of patience with me today, being gone much longer than told.

I know Steve would enjoy the Gulch with Trace, but he's getting ready for his roadtrip to Idaho and won't return until early December.

No comments:

Post a Comment