Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Walking up Carr Canyon Road

I'm on spring break this week. This year I opted to stay local and to save my travel money for the summer, when a possible road trip to Virginia is in the calling. Nina has been hosting a 4-mile Meetup hike up Carr Canyon Road to the falls and back on Tuesdays, proving a quick but challenging workout with a valley view at the turn-around point. I signed up for this hike a few days ago, knowing I was around for this, and brought Sadie along. I finally got to meet some of the Tuesday regulars! The parking area near the lower Carr Falls was crowded with fitness walkers.

There were seven of us, some of whom I recognized: Robert, Jim (the county search and rescue volunteer), Eric, Nina. I got to meet young Cidney, whose husband is at Fort Huachuca attending the Captain's Course, and Susan. Julie came with two of her dogs, Zane and Grey, whom she kept on leashes. Had I known others were bringing dogs, I would have taken Minnie or Zeke instead as they are more dog friendly. With Sadie I had to keep my distance and hike up ahead. (Later, when we were all resting at the overlook, Sadie snapped at Grey, so I separated myself from the group and stayed away so Sadie could relax).

Hiking up this forest road is fun! We didn't have much traffic and everyone seemed to find someone to talk to. I went around people to take photos. Traffic won't be a problem until the end of April, when people start heading up the upper campsites for fun. Eric said we made it up in 41 minutes.

We stayed at the top for a long time. I took Sadie down to the falls for water, and it was Cidney who told me we were leaving again for the return hike. I stayed with her on the return walk while others found their own clique. This is the true definition of a fitness hike: you find someone your own pace to make it challenging but not grueling.

Once we got back to our cars three hours later (!), Robert suggested going to Papa's 50s Diner for lunch. Nina and Eric agreed to go, so I went along, knowing that dogs were welcome on the patio. What I didn't know was that the owners serve patrons who come in with their dogs a free "puppy patty" which was served prior to our meal. That food quieted Sadie down and she was more relaxed when the rest of us got our meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment