Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Walking around Bisbee

My iPhone 4S died on me yesterday morning and I missed an opportunity to work at the middle school. No other offers came, so I used my day off to head out to Bisbee, drop off the cardboard, and walk around the historic section. I took Zeke with me, perhaps the first time in well over a year that I took him by himself. I expected the worst, but he was wonderful. He never pulled on the leash, tried to run away, or bark at other people or dogs. He was a totally different dog and I was so proud of him.
He likes to ride up front when he's in the van, pointing his head directly into the air vent for that cool air. After dropping off the recyclables I drove into the historic district, parked by Tack Avenue where Gina and I saw the rock slide, and walked uphill. There are many homes for sale, and some are quite affordable! My old dream of living in Bisbee came back to me, but after seeing so many cracked retaining walls, have to wonder if living in Old Bisbee is even feasible. The next massive storm will take more than just a few rock walls. Dreams and lives will go down as well.
It was a lovely day for a walk. I tried looking for unusual things to photograph: quirky artwork, which Bisbee has plenty of, curious cats and dogs looking at me from behind fences, old cars, grizzled people. It was quiet in town and not too many were in the streets, even in the business section, but I walked around nonetheless, enjoying the first smells of autumn. Water was still running down the streets from recent rains. Even Zeke seemed to relish the many smells, often stopping to stick his nose in the air while analyzing the aromas of city life.

I walked uphill in Tombstone Canyon, the town's main thruway. Water was running down the culverts, still rushing at high speeds. This water will continue to gush for as long as rain keeps coming down, and more is forecasted this week. I saw remnants of sandbags around some of the 100-year-old miner's houses, fallen trees, damaged wooden fences, and repairmen were in some of the smaller alleys busy repairing pipes and sidewalks. Zeke took his water from the runoff, and there was plenty of it to cool off his paws.


I don't always walk up this far up Tombstone Canyon, but there is attraction here and I kept going. I didn't have a phone to contact Kevin, though, so he had no idea where I was. I walked into Moon Canyon, then took Adam Avenue along a ridgeline to Laundry Hill, a crumbly road I remember from my Bisbee1000 days. The road ends here, but I discovered that behind private homes are more stairs that take pedestrians back down to the Circle K in town. There are even signs showing tourists the public sidewalks. I had never noticed the signs before, and residents were more than helpful showing me the way.

The sun was starting to set, lights were coming on, and the town gave off its pretty fall aura. It was a quiet Monday evening, and I walked down to the brewpub for my usual two pints. Zeke was a big hit at the brewpub. Everyone wanted to pet Zeke, and he ate it all up. What a real charmer he was today, and I fell in love with that little rascal all over again. Even one of the brewmeisters came to pet Zeke, telling me what a great dog he is. Zeke has a happy face and happy demeanor about himself, and that's what makes him attractive. Both Sadie and Minnie look and act more menacing.

My former OB-GYN was at the bar (always so embarrassing to see "Doc" there, but he's an evening regular at the brewpub) and people are starting to recognize me as well. Shannon, the bartender, even told me that one of the photos I had taken of her from behind on Sunday was tagged on a Facebook page I post my photos on ("Bisbee People").


I got home at 7:30pm. I got online and got the news that Carol does indeed have a lung tumor. Now she must decide what her next move is. Years of smoking have ruined her lungs, and lung cancer is always a possibility when one smokes so long in life. I will support her in whatever decision she makes. I'm not ready to lose her.


No comments:

Post a Comment