Friday, August 1, 2014

Loop Hike around Camel Hump (Fort Huachuca)

I am going to take a break from my travelogue and post two hikes I've done since being back in Arizona. Otherwise I will forget the details as I'm still only half-way through my travelogue and I'm not even done with the entries I already have started on. (Writing down the road trip has been more arduous than expected.)
The first hike was last Sunday, July 27th. The hike is what I've been calling a loop hike around "Camel Hump," even though the peak has no official name on any maps I've seen. From Sierra Vista the peak looks like a camel's hump and thus the name. Its elevation is around 7500 feet. Another hiking member, Ryan, invited several hiking club members on this 6.5-mile hike, but only I accepted. I guess others don't like to hike on Sundays. I don't mind as I don't go to church. Other hikers were out of town on a backpacking trip in Colorado.

It was a ~HOT~ 91F day and the heat and humidity did concern me. Would there be water in Rock Springs? There is always water in Huachuca Canyon, that part didn't concern me, but that would be on the last mile of the hike. What about the rest of the trail?

I took two dogs along, although only Sadie was the one I had brought water for. Minnie insisted on coming along as well, pushing her way through the front door, and since she hadn't hiked for over three weeks, relented to her. She did struggle on the entire hike and never stopped panting. Without creek water on this hike, I would not have had enough for both dogs. It was a risk I took.

The hike is entirely on Fort Huachuca property and starts and finishes in Huachuca Canyon, near the upper picnic area where the creek crosses the road. I had been up Lower Huachuca Trail years ago and remember it being a very steep climb, going uphill for 1.4 miles as the partially-exposed trail switch-backs through oaks, mesquite and cacti. We were lucky I had experience on this trail, as finding it from the abandoned helipad wasn't easy.

We started the hike at 7:52am, almost an hour later than originally planned because I had overslept from a night of insomnia again. Ryan brought the map along as we drudged uphill on C-Break, a fire trail that showed serious erosion issues, but offered views of the valley and San Jose Peak in Sonora in front of us. Soil was loose and rocky. This was a very hot and exposed section that tired us all out, especially the dogs, as there was no shade here for them that first mile.
C-Break then intersects with a trail that goes downhill to Reservoir Hill to the left. We turned right, found some shade, and then a three-way intersection. The terrain sloping down was marked off as NO TRESPASSING. (Why would we?!) We opted for the middle trail, which was the one shown on the map. Camel Hump was now in front of us. C-Break then continued south and went downhill. Camel Hump was now further away but on the map the distance didn't seem so far. I convinced Ryan we had to go on, as we hadn't crossed the creek yet. This was a smart move.
We got to Rock Springs Canyon at 9:22am. The sign looked newish at that intersection at C-Break. The trail itself showed little use and we lost it in parts. It followed the creek, which was dry here. I could tell that the dogs were thirsty and wanted water again. They kept looking around the creek bed. We climbed uphill, over rocks, over steep terrain and finally found some water. I again convinced Ryan to stop here to let the dogs drink until they were full. My dogs would follow me on the hike if I were to hike on, rather than stay back and drink. I was in no hurry to race to any personal record on this hike!
I enjoyed this section of the hike. It was shaded and had sporadic water and actually was a trail, unlike the fire breaks that made the rest of the trail. Its narrow path resembled more of an "illegal" trail so common in the Huachucas. Once we hit D-Break at the next intersection, I recognized the trail from years ago when I was last here.

We got to D-Break at 10:05. Again we were back to a loose, rocky trail showing much erosion. I remember quartz crystals here years ago. They seemed to be gone now. We also got some views of the San Pedro Valley. The dogs were now seeking shade again, as the sun was higher up and above us. Poor Minnie never stopped panting. Her lack of serious exercise while I was gone was very obvious. Sadie followed Ryan and never panted.
Once we got on the trail to Camel Hump itself, the trail got rockier and looser, just like years before! At least here we had small shrubs for the dogs, who were all too eager to rest as we followed them. We made it to the top at 10:55am, rested, had snacks, took in the vista from a short spur trail going east, and gave the dogs another water break. The fort is visible from this peak, and the green Santa Cruz valley to the west as well. I had enough water now for the dogs, thanks to Rock Springs, and figured their next water would be two miles downhill at the Huachuca creek. I was right on that. The dogs rested with water and treats, one being a week-old Sausage-Egg McMuffin! They ate it with gusto.
There was some trash left behind by illegals on the Hump I picked up what I could and use a plastic bag (that was intended for dog poop) as the trash bag. I left the clothes behind, though, as that would have weighed me down and who knows what all is in clothes. I never pick up more trash than I can comfortably carry back down with me. My little Camelbak didn't have extra room for this trash. I carried this plastic bag all the way back to my truck.

Ryan left, as promised, a red apple at the peak. This is a habit he does on all peak hikes.
I found the last stretch of this hike, Lower Huachuca Trail, rather easily. there was no sign pointing to the trail; I just followed a very faint trail near the overgrown helipad. This was a steep downhill I was all too glad to get off of. We got back on Huachuca Canyon Road at 12:15am, made it to the creek at 12:45pm where we sat for a bit so that the dogs could cool off. There clearly was less water here than in previous years, when the creek would actually cross the road to the gauge area. This dryness does concern me.
We were back at the truck at 1pm. Both dogs were exhausted and obediently took to the back seat.

Later that day Ryan PMed me on Facebook to tell me that his GPS was wrong. It was not 8.02 miles that we hiked, but more like 6-7 miles. I concur. At any rate, this is a hike best done on a cloudy day in the winter or fall, due to much of it being exposed to the sun. Both Ryan and I felt the humidity today. We both were thankful that we started with C-Break and not the Lower Huachuca Trail. Hiking this loop clockwise makes it easier as the grade uphill is gentler on the knees.







No comments:

Post a Comment