Saturday, December 14, 2013

Hip dysplasia

I took Minnie and Sadie with me to the shelter with the intent of going on a hike afterwards. Then Valli came by the house unexpectedly and she asked if she could come along. I agreed, although I felt awkward at first because who wants to watch me take photos of shelter animals?

Both dogs jumped happily in the van and waited patiently for me for three plus hours while I photographed dogs and cats and watched Valli, who drove with me to the shelter in her separate car, assessed the dogs. Carol was already there and was chatting with Niki. Danielle had just finished walking big dog Yeka, a huge white Great Pyrenees. There was no Joe and no Charlie. There were no adopters, either. The most annoying person there was the teenaged girl, but even she was on her best behavior today. It was a very pleasant experience at the shelter. It felt like the early days from this past winter. I had to walk my dogs halfway through my photo session with Valli since it did get warm in the van even with the windows open and the dogs were getting restless.

I am very pleased with the photos I took.

It occurred to me to ask Carol if she thought Sadie had hip dysplasia. She is a retired vet tech and knows her way around dogs. She felt her hips, watched her walk and run and said that yes, she does have it and pointed out the bone structure of her hips. Her hips are not even. Is this why she's been sauntering all her life? Her run has slowed down, she tires more easily but she's still fast and doesn't fall down (yet). I now have to mentally get myself prepared for the next medical horror with Sadie. She's going to be six years old in March and I love her dearly. Lately she's been jumping up on the bed at night and I wake up spooning her.

The sun was already setting when I left the shelter. I drove down to Lower Huachuca City and let the dogs out near the wash. I had never been down there and it gave me a weird look at the town. There is not one nice house in that town; it's all small slump brick or dilapidated shacks with chain link fences. Both dogs chased each other in the setting sun, dust was blowing up from their stampede and as I stood there watching my dogs, a little tear swelled in my heart knowing that in a few years Sadie may not be able to run like that anymore. I need to make sure the rest of her life is a good life.

2 comments:

  1. I adopted a chocolate lab at the age of 7 and she had bad hips and now she is 12 and starting to slow down. There is lots of things to give them that help including Glclosomine, fish oil and I also have my girl on Previcox which is an anti inflamatory. I hate it when they slow down and they have to wait in the car or stay at home when you go on longer walks with the other dogs. You have to be just like the dogs and live in the moment. Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Betsy, I won't panic until it's been diagnosed by a vet. She is still running with the other dogs and enjoying her walks in the foothills. I haven't seen her slow down much. She's stumbled a few times a few months ago and I just thought that was from recovering from an epileptic seizure. She's not at the point of being near any paralysis. She still has a very comfortable life.

    ReplyDelete