Wednesday, December 11, 2013

East Hunter Canyon trail

I didn't work today and wanted to take the dogs on a decent hike in warm weather, something that Sammy could do. I chose the Hunter Canyon trail, starting at the parking lot inside Hunter Canyon and walking along a creek trail for a mile to get to the official trail head. There was only one target shooter out today and he was far enough away to not be a nuisance. The dogs didn't care.

I had taken them on this trail a few days ago, but this time I took them almost two miles on the trail before resting and turning around. Only Sammy seemed tired and I knew that taking him on hikes longer than three miles are now the past. His hind legs tend to point inward when he's tired, perhaps from an old injury from 2005 when he was hit by a pick-up truck.

We started the hike at 11:11am. The pace was normal as we meandered in the shade of oaks along the creek. No one was around. While the dogs were running back and forth and chasing each other, Sammy stayed by my side. I'm starting to worry about that dog. Although he seems to have recovered some from Sara's passing, I know he misses having someone his own age around. Zeke's nothing but a nuisance and Sammy only growls at that dog.

Once at the official trai lhead, the exposure comes out. The trail s now an old mining trail along the creek. We stayed on this trail until we hit the old water tank, continued straight ahead, and rested by a spring where the dogs drank water and Sammy rested. A hunter was camped out nearby. We were at a slight elevation, and I could see San Jose Peak.

At this point we turned around and went back the way we came. I discovered a small grave dedicated to someone's pet Teehla. How come I had never seen that before? It's right off the trail!

Sammy was exhausted when we got home at 1pm

No comments:

Post a Comment