Saturday, November 9, 2013

Ash Canyon in the Galiuros

The original plan was to hike up Bassett Peak today. That didn't happen and I am not sure why. Rod, Paul, John, Bill Sr and I with Minnie met up at 7:40am in Benson and drove to the trail head north of Willcox. We got there at 9am and it was already crowded. Parking was at a premium.

Weather was beautiful, too. Two years ago when I last did this hike it was overcast and chilly. I was dressed for chill and wind and it was neither chilly nor windy! Instead it was a warm, clear blue sky overhead.

Rod, the official hike leader, quickly fell back with Bill Sr. That slowed the rest of us down and we waited several times for Rod and Bill to catch up. That ruined our momentum. By the time we all got to the upper creek where the trail leaves the canyon and switchbacks up an exposed, rocky and brittle ridgeline, I was out of energy. I even dozed off during a rest break. While Rod and John made it to the ridgeline, Paul and I did not. I was glad to turn around and get Minnie back into the cool shade of the canyon.

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment