Thursday, June 6, 2013

Check-ups for Sammy and Zeke

Yesterday went well for all the pets. Even Sadie was back to being alert and responding to stimuli although her walk was slow and her right ear hung low. Looks like Minnie gave her a big gash at the base of the ear that hurts her.

I had a vet appointment for Sammy, Zeke and cats Pache and Bobby on post for their routine shots at 1pm. The prices for the post vet are still the cheapest around and I just wanted to make sure all the pets' vaccines were up-to-date should something happen to them while I was away. Sammy needed his three-year parvo/distemper shot, Zeke needed his rabies, and the cats were post past-due on everything.

Taking two dogs and two cats to the vet is not fun. Bobby meowed loudly the entire way, panting and bug-eyed the entire drive. Eric took him out of his small carrier during the drive, to hold and pet him and put him at ease. At least Eric helped me here. He carried the cats in the carriers (they needed separate ones as Pache can't stand Bobby) while I had the dogs on long leashes. We were late for our 1pm appointment because I had to turn around near the front gate because I had forgotten my military ID card! Our wait was only 30 minutes as we sat in an empty waiting room.

To my surprise Sammy continues to gain weight. Last year he weighed in at 83 pounds, yesterday he weighed in at 95 pounds! What gives? The vet tech thinks Sammy may have a thyroid condition, and I agreed to have his blood taken to see the cause of his weight gain. He should be 70 pounds, not 95! Results should be back in today and we will be notified. Sammy took the poking like a champ, getting his shots in three different areas of his body.

Zeke, who had been hyperactive in the office, was also a little champ during his exam and vaccines, never flinching or growling during the process. He weighed in at 49.6 pounds, having gained almost three pounds since last year.

Pache and Bobby were also well-behaved. I expected Pache to hiss at the vet tech but he was just very scared, shaking in fear during the exam and vaccine part but being under control. He weighed in at 13 pounds and Bobby at ten pounds.

The entire vet visit was 30 minutes long and cost me $202. What a savings! I need to make the routine visits for the pets at the post vet more often. The only pet that now still needs updated vaccines is Mo, but he doesn't go outside and is at lower risk of being infected by a contagious disease.

Eric and I had S'more blizzards from Dairy Queen on the way home.

We also spotted Willie outside in our front yard. I hadn't spotted him in a few days and it's always nice to see him among the living. He sauntered across the street and disappeared into the neighbor's yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment